Kevin Sharp passed away on Saturday night due to “ongoing complications from past stomach surgeries and digestive issues.” He was 43. I can speak from personal experience that there are few folks on the planet that had a stronger passion for childhood cancer advocacy. Long after his hits “Nobody Knows,” “She’s Sure Taking It Well,” […]
2015 ACM Awards Tickets Sell Out; Jim VanCleve Leaves Mountain Heart; Hellbound Glory Announces New Album
Rod Kennedy, who founded the Kerrville Folk Festival in 1972, passed away on Monday. He was 84. 70,000 tickets for next year’s ACM Awards and ACM’s “Party for a Cause” event, which will be held in Arlington, Texas at AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Park, respectively, sold out in 18 minutes. Zac Brown Band has […]
Loretta Lynn Fights House Fire (She’s Okay); The Mavericks Celebrate 25 Years with Spring Tour; Stream New Drive-By Truckers Album
There was a small fire at Loretta Lynn’s house yesterday when a lit candle fell onto a chair. Lynn sustained minor burns on her hands while using a pillow to put out the flames. Franny Beecher, guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Monday at the age of 92. The Mavericks are […]
Ameripolitan Award Winners Announced; Trisha Yearwood Plans Album, Cookbook; Nickel Creek Debuts New Song
W.S. Holland, Rosie Flores, Elizabeth Cook, Ray Benson, and Dawn Sears took home trophies at the inaugural Ameripolitan Music Awards last night. Saving Country Music’s got a full list of the winners and a live blog of the evening. Vince Gill received the 2014 Country Radio Broadcasters’ Career Achievement Award. Trisha Yearwood (who’s kicking off […]
Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
Missed an album release yesterday: Kandia Crazy Horse’s Stampede. Aussie singer-songwriter Catherine Britt has signed with Universal’s Lost Highway imprint. Hope this means we’ll get a new record from her later in the year. Phew, Ashley Monroe says the Pistol Annies haven’t broken up. They’re all focusing on new solo records right now. Sarah Jarosz was […]
Sources say former Nirvana drummer and current Foo Fighters rocker Dave Grohl will be producing the next Zac Brown Band album. Erika White and, to a lesser degree, her husband Bryan White will be participating in the new TNT reality series, Private Lives of Nashville Wives. We pay obeisance to C.M. Wilcox for this week’s […]
Sherman Halsey Passes Away; Suzy Bogguss to Release Merle Haggard Tribute; Ronnie Milsap Debuts New Single
Music video director and producer Sherman Halsey passed away at the age of 56. Among the videos he worked on were Tim McGraw’s “Live Like You Were Dying,” Dwight Yoakam’s “Little Sister,” and Alan Jackson’s version of “Tall Tall Trees.” Stream the solid new release Divided and United: Songs of the Civil War, which features […]
Earl Scruggs Center Plans January Grand Opening; The Roys, Joey + Rory Win ICM Awards; Deadly Gentlemen Added to MerleFest Lineup
The Earl Scruggs Center’s grand opening is scheduled for January 11. You might want to check it out if you’re near Shelby, NC. To All the Girls, which sold 43,000 units in its first week, is Willie Nelson’s 46th Top 10 Country Album. (Dolly Parton is in second place, with 41 Top 10 Country Albums.) […]
(Yesterday: Part One) Before the public knew Brandy Clark, well before the new release of her first album 12 Songs, she had become an important part of a tight circle of friends and collaborators that includes, among others, singing songwriters Miranda Lambert, Ashley Monroe, Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osborne and Trevor Rosen. The impact […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."