Lester Armistead of The Tennessee Mafia Jug Band passed away last Friday. Jamey Johnson is a free agent: he’s no longer signed to Mercury Records. There’s currently no news on what his next music move might be. Bryan White announced on his Facebook page that his Kickstarter-backed album, Shine, will be released on May 27. […]
Stringbean’s Murderer Up for Parole; CMHOF to Open Kenny Rogers Exhibit; Jeff Austin Leaves Yonder Mountain String Band
John A. Brown, one of the men convicted of murdering “Stringbean” and Estelle Akeman, is up for parole. It could take up to two weeks for the board to announce an official decision; Brown’s previous parole requests have been denied. Mental Floss wants you to learn twelve facts about Dollywood. Here are two: the park […]
Kevin Sharp passed away on Saturday night due to “ongoing complications from past stomach surgeries and digestive issues.” He was 43. I can speak from personal experience that there are few folks on the planet that had a stronger passion for childhood cancer advocacy. Long after his hits “Nobody Knows,” “She’s Sure Taking It Well,” […]
2015 ACM Awards Tickets Sell Out; Jim VanCleve Leaves Mountain Heart; Hellbound Glory Announces New Album
Rod Kennedy, who founded the Kerrville Folk Festival in 1972, passed away on Monday. He was 84. 70,000 tickets for next year’s ACM Awards and ACM’s “Party for a Cause” event, which will be held in Arlington, Texas at AT&T Stadium and Globe Life Park, respectively, sold out in 18 minutes. Zac Brown Band has […]
Loretta Lynn Fights House Fire (She’s Okay); The Mavericks Celebrate 25 Years with Spring Tour; Stream New Drive-By Truckers Album
There was a small fire at Loretta Lynn’s house yesterday when a lit candle fell onto a chair. Lynn sustained minor burns on her hands while using a pillow to put out the flames. Franny Beecher, guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Monday at the age of 92. The Mavericks are […]
Ameripolitan Award Winners Announced; Trisha Yearwood Plans Album, Cookbook; Nickel Creek Debuts New Song
W.S. Holland, Rosie Flores, Elizabeth Cook, Ray Benson, and Dawn Sears took home trophies at the inaugural Ameripolitan Music Awards last night. Saving Country Music’s got a full list of the winners and a live blog of the evening. Vince Gill received the 2014 Country Radio Broadcasters’ Career Achievement Award. Trisha Yearwood (who’s kicking off […]
Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
Missed an album release yesterday: Kandia Crazy Horse’s Stampede. Aussie singer-songwriter Catherine Britt has signed with Universal’s Lost Highway imprint. Hope this means we’ll get a new record from her later in the year. Phew, Ashley Monroe says the Pistol Annies haven’t broken up. They’re all focusing on new solo records right now. Sarah Jarosz was […]
Sources say former Nirvana drummer and current Foo Fighters rocker Dave Grohl will be producing the next Zac Brown Band album. Erika White and, to a lesser degree, her husband Bryan White will be participating in the new TNT reality series, Private Lives of Nashville Wives. We pay obeisance to C.M. Wilcox for this week’s […]
Sherman Halsey Passes Away; Suzy Bogguss to Release Merle Haggard Tribute; Ronnie Milsap Debuts New Single
Music video director and producer Sherman Halsey passed away at the age of 56. Among the videos he worked on were Tim McGraw’s “Live Like You Were Dying,” Dwight Yoakam’s “Little Sister,” and Alan Jackson’s version of “Tall Tall Trees.” Stream the solid new release Divided and United: Songs of the Civil War, which features […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...