Homer Bailes Passes Away; Muddy Roots Lineup Announced; Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay Release Christmas Album
Homer Bailes, the last surviving member of The Bailes Brothers, passed away on December 3. He was 91. A federal judge denied a motion to dismiss Amy Bowen’s lawsuit against Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Sony, and others. Earlier this year, Bowen alleged that the defendants “violated her copyright interests in the song ‘Remind Me,’ a […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
Aoife O’Donovan has had a busy few years, releasing several albums with progressive bluegrass band Crooked Still as well as appearing on recordings including Noam Pikelny’s Beat the Devil and Carry a Rail, Kathy Mattea’s Calling Me Home, and the fantastic Yo-Yo Ma/Chris Thile/Stuart Duncan/Edgar Meyer collaboration, The Goat Rodeo Sessions. O’Donovan’s solo debut, Fossils, released […]
Charles Carr, Texas Johnny Brown Pass Away; Ronnie Dunn Launches Record Label; Howlin’ Brothers Play Folk Alley Session
Charles Carr, the man who drove Hank Williams on his ill-fated New Year’s Eve journey, passed away. 85-year old bluesman Texas Johnny Brown passed away this week after a battle with liver cancer. Shooter Jennings got married last month; People just posted some photos from the ceremony. Pam Tillis is My Kind of Country’s Spotlight […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
New Robbie Fulks, Greencards Albums Due in August; Stream New Court Yard Hounds Song; Sugar Hill to Release The Definitive Doc Watson
Robbie Fulks’ next record, Gone Away Backward, is coming out August 27 on Bloodshot Records. The Greencards will release their next album, Sweetheart of the Sun, on August 20. Stream Aoife O’Donovan’s new album on The New York Times’ site. Darden Smith’s Compass Records debut, Love Calling, comes out July 30. (via press release) On July 16, […]
Listen to Kathy Mattea’s recent Mountain Stage performance. Darden Smith has signed with Compass Records. His next album, Love Calling, will be released August 27. Keith Urban, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, and more are performing at the “All for the Hall” benefit concert in Nashville tonight. NoiseTrade is offering music from Aoife O’Donovan as […]
HoF to Open Nashville Spotlight Exhibit; Terry Baucom Offers Free Song Download; MerleFest Launches Smartphone App
A spotlight exhibit dedicated to the show Nashville will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum on April 5 and run through October 31. Check out the album art and track listing for George Strait’s Love is Everything (out May 14). Here’s Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale playing “I Lost My Job […]
CMHoF Attendance Up 15% in 2012; The Band Perry to Release Next Album April 2; Aoife O’Donovan Signs with Yep Roc
From February 28-March 2, Camden, Tenn. will mark the 50th anniversary of the deaths of Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas, and Randy Hughes with three days of concerts, a panel discussion, and more. The Band Perry will release their currently unnamed next album on April 2. Attendance at the Country Music Hall of Fame […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.