The door definitely remains open for Taylor Swift to return to country music according to radio consulting firm Albright & O’Malley & Brenner’s “admittedly unscientific” poll of of 60 country music station programming executives. Mike O’Malley writes that, “By more than 4:1 the panel hoped that Taylor Swift would cut another country song in the future […]
Ricky Skaggs, Sharon White to Release Duets Album; IBMA Announces Inaugural Film Festival; Music City Roots Celebrates Night Train to Nashville
Lee Ann Womack and Holly Williams are featured on the Tory Burch blog. The 615 premiered Billy Joe Shaver’s “The Git Go.” Check out Aoife O’Donovan and Nickel Creek’s Newport Folk Fest sets. (warning: autoplay) A 17-year-old girl was reportedly raped at Keith Urban’s recent Boston-area show where numerous hospitalizations and arrests for “alcohol-related issues” […]
Charlie Worsham and Ashley Monroe Collaborate; Kasey Anderson Sentenced; Dolly Participates in Tenn. Tourism Campaign
Americana singer-songwriter Kasey Anderson was sentenced to nearly four years in prison; he must also pay nearly $600,000 in restitution after bilking investors for a nonexistent charity album. Here’s Dolly Parton performing “My Tennessee Mountain Home” for the state’s new tourism campaign. (warning: autoplay) Eric Banister interviewed Michael Jarrett, author of Producing Country: The Inside […]
You will never be as cool as Del McCoury high-fiving people from a motorcycle sidecar at a festival he named after himself. The 615’s Rich Appel reports that, “The ink has barely dried on the deal between Cumulus Media and Big Machine Label Group creating a new country music record label (Nash Icons) and live […]
Homer Bailes Passes Away; Muddy Roots Lineup Announced; Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay Release Christmas Album
Homer Bailes, the last surviving member of The Bailes Brothers, passed away on December 3. He was 91. A federal judge denied a motion to dismiss Amy Bowen’s lawsuit against Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Sony, and others. Earlier this year, Bowen alleged that the defendants “violated her copyright interests in the song ‘Remind Me,’ a […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
Aoife O’Donovan has had a busy few years, releasing several albums with progressive bluegrass band Crooked Still as well as appearing on recordings including Noam Pikelny’s Beat the Devil and Carry a Rail, Kathy Mattea’s Calling Me Home, and the fantastic Yo-Yo Ma/Chris Thile/Stuart Duncan/Edgar Meyer collaboration, The Goat Rodeo Sessions. O’Donovan’s solo debut, Fossils, released […]
Charles Carr, Texas Johnny Brown Pass Away; Ronnie Dunn Launches Record Label; Howlin’ Brothers Play Folk Alley Session
Charles Carr, the man who drove Hank Williams on his ill-fated New Year’s Eve journey, passed away. 85-year old bluesman Texas Johnny Brown passed away this week after a battle with liver cancer. Shooter Jennings got married last month; People just posted some photos from the ceremony. Pam Tillis is My Kind of Country’s Spotlight […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
New Robbie Fulks, Greencards Albums Due in August; Stream New Court Yard Hounds Song; Sugar Hill to Release The Definitive Doc Watson
Robbie Fulks’ next record, Gone Away Backward, is coming out August 27 on Bloodshot Records. The Greencards will release their next album, Sweetheart of the Sun, on August 20. Stream Aoife O’Donovan’s new album on The New York Times’ site. Darden Smith’s Compass Records debut, Love Calling, comes out July 30. (via press release) On July 16, […]
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …
- Leeann: I think he generalized way too much, too black and white. He reminded me too much of Ryan Adams, who …