Homer Bailes Passes Away; Muddy Roots Lineup Announced; Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay Release Christmas Album
Homer Bailes, the last surviving member of The Bailes Brothers, passed away on December 3. He was 91. A federal judge denied a motion to dismiss Amy Bowen’s lawsuit against Brad Paisley, Carrie Underwood, Sony, and others. Earlier this year, Bowen alleged that the defendants “violated her copyright interests in the song ‘Remind Me,’ a […]
If you close your eyes when you put the needle down on Sarah Jarosz’s third album, you’ll swear you’re listening to Joni Mitchell–especially her Hejira album, one moment–Diana Krall’s smoky and seductive voice at another moment, or Maria Muldaur’s sultry, languorous vocals in the next moment. Yet, it’s Mitchell that Jarosz most resembles in her […]
Aoife O’Donovan has had a busy few years, releasing several albums with progressive bluegrass band Crooked Still as well as appearing on recordings including Noam Pikelny’s Beat the Devil and Carry a Rail, Kathy Mattea’s Calling Me Home, and the fantastic Yo-Yo Ma/Chris Thile/Stuart Duncan/Edgar Meyer collaboration, The Goat Rodeo Sessions. O’Donovan’s solo debut, Fossils, released […]
Charles Carr, Texas Johnny Brown Pass Away; Ronnie Dunn Launches Record Label; Howlin’ Brothers Play Folk Alley Session
Charles Carr, the man who drove Hank Williams on his ill-fated New Year’s Eve journey, passed away. 85-year old bluesman Texas Johnny Brown passed away this week after a battle with liver cancer. Shooter Jennings got married last month; People just posted some photos from the ceremony. Pam Tillis is My Kind of Country’s Spotlight […]
David Via was attacked by a stranger over the weekend. He’s facing some serious medical costs and, with a broken jaw, he’ll be unable to perform for some time. Bluegrass Today has information on how you can help. The CMA Music Festival crowd was underwhelmed by Lenny Kravitz. The Pistol Annies have canceled their upcoming […]
New Robbie Fulks, Greencards Albums Due in August; Stream New Court Yard Hounds Song; Sugar Hill to Release The Definitive Doc Watson
Robbie Fulks’ next record, Gone Away Backward, is coming out August 27 on Bloodshot Records. The Greencards will release their next album, Sweetheart of the Sun, on August 20. Stream Aoife O’Donovan’s new album on The New York Times’ site. Darden Smith’s Compass Records debut, Love Calling, comes out July 30. (via press release) On July 16, […]
Listen to Kathy Mattea’s recent Mountain Stage performance. Darden Smith has signed with Compass Records. His next album, Love Calling, will be released August 27. Keith Urban, Kris Kristofferson, Loretta Lynn, Vince Gill, and more are performing at the “All for the Hall” benefit concert in Nashville tonight. NoiseTrade is offering music from Aoife O’Donovan as […]
HoF to Open Nashville Spotlight Exhibit; Terry Baucom Offers Free Song Download; MerleFest Launches Smartphone App
A spotlight exhibit dedicated to the show Nashville will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum on April 5 and run through October 31. Check out the album art and track listing for George Strait’s Love is Everything (out May 14). Here’s Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale playing “I Lost My Job […]
CMHoF Attendance Up 15% in 2012; The Band Perry to Release Next Album April 2; Aoife O’Donovan Signs with Yep Roc
From February 28-March 2, Camden, Tenn. will mark the 50th anniversary of the deaths of Patsy Cline, Hawkshaw Hawkins, Cowboy Copas, and Randy Hughes with three days of concerts, a panel discussion, and more. The Band Perry will release their currently unnamed next album on April 2. Attendance at the Country Music Hall of Fame […]
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!