George Jones Biopic in the Works; Amanda Shires Releases Album Trailer; Skip Cherryholmes Joins Lou Reid & Carolina
Slim Whitman passed away. He was 89 years old. (h/t Janice Brooks) Reba’s on the cover of Jetset Magazine. Inside, she talks about her career, and, of course, the planes she’s owned. 28 Entertainment has acquired the life rights to George Jones. A biopic is in the works; writer Dennis Baxter worked with George and Nancy (who […]
Lorene Mann passed away on May 24 at the age of 76. Mann was a co-founder of the Nashville Songwriters Association International; she also wrote “Left to Right,” “My Wife’s House,” and other hits. Marshall Lytle, bassist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The SteelDrivers played Mountain […]
JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78. JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year. Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I […]
In 2011, The First Lady of Rockabilly declared “The Party Ain’t Over” with her rollicking, Jack White-produced album of the same name. A year later Wanda Jackson returns to take care of some unfinished business on a sassy, brassy album, produced by Justin Townes Earle, that showcases Jackson’s growling, inspired versions of rock, blues, folk, […]
New Jim Lauderdale Record Out 9/25; Farm Aid Plans Webcast; Stream New Music from Rodney Parker & 50 Peso Reward
The UNC Southern Folklife Collection’s blog shines a spotlight on “Barbara Allen.” Michael Bialis of The Huffington Post wrote a piece on Elizabeth Cook, the “High Priestess in Americana’s House of Worship.” Kathleen Edwards went into anaphylactic shock after getting stung by a yellow jacket. Thanks to paramedics and an Epi-pen, she is recovering with […]
ACM Donates $2.5 Million to Hall of Fame; New Wanda Jackson Album Due in October; Miranda Lambert on Voice Rest
The Academy of Country Music will donate $2.5 million to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum to help underwrite the “ACM Contemporary Gallery,” which will showcase trends in modern country music. Wanda Jackson’s got a new album in the works. Unfinished Business, due out October 9, will be produced by Justin Townes Earle […]
New Albums From Jerry Douglas, The Bankesters & Jimbo Mathus Due This Summer; Nora Jane Struthers Launches Kickstarter; Free American Songwriter Country Compilation
Marty Stuart was featured in The Wall Street Journal. An excerpt: “When I was playing the chart game, I was embarrassed to play my albums for my rock friends,” he said, mentioning Tom Petty and Jack White. “When people think of country music, they want a feeling of authenticity. Now you have to homogenize.” He […]
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …