Glen Campbell’s final recording, a song called “I’m Not Gonna Miss You,” will be released on September 30 as part of a five-song EP from the soundtrack of the documentary I’ll Be Me. The EP will also include a couple live songs recorded at the Ryman during Campbell’s farewell tour, daughter Ashley Campbell singing “Home […]
Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
ACM New Artist of the Year Semifinalists Announced; Chris Eldridge Scores Silent Film; Stream Bluesman Leo Welch’s Debut Album
The Academy of Country Music named eight semifinalists for their New Artist of the Year Award: Lee Brice, Brett Eldredge, Tyler Farr, Justin Moore, Kip Moore, Kacey Musgraves, Thomas Rhett, and Parmalee. The 2014 ACM Awards will be broadcast on CBS April 6. Punch Brother Chris Eldridge will provide the score for 1917 silent film […]
Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are: Best Country Solo Performance “I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice “I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes “Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert “Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker “Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton Best Country Duo/Group Performance “From This Valley” — The Civil Wars “Don’t Rush” — Kelly […]
Randy Travis Suffers Stroke, Undergoes Surgery; JD McPherson Plays Mountain Stage; New Tony Joe White Album Due in Sept.
Randy Travis’ health issues continue. The New York Times reports that Travis suffered a stroke (a “complication of his congestive heart failure”) and underwent surgery to relieve pressure in his brain. Allen Toussaint was one of the recipients of the National Medal of Arts last night in DC. Know “Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)”? […]
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …