Despite his love of namedropping classic country singers—on this record, “ol’ Hank” and George Jones get cited, and of course there was “Johnny Cash,” the 2007 single that had nothing to do with the Man in Black aside from the statement that he will “rock your ass”—Jason Aldean still has more in common with Molly […]
You can take the girl out of Butcher Holler, but you can’t take Butcher Holler out of the girl. Even during Nashville’s glitziest period, Loretta Lynn was both part of that glamour and apart from it: a country girl living not so comfortably in the city. All those frilly, rhinestone-studded dresses never could cover up […]
Until recently, Rounder Records was the oldest active independent label in America—and arguably the most successful not just in terms of sales but in cultural impact. Founded in 1970 by three Tufts students, the fledgling company originally focused on bluegrass, especially the new strains that were coming out of New England. However, it wasn’t long […]
The lack of dramatics on today’s playlists have threatened to turn country radio into a complete yawn. Enter, stage left: one of the genre’s most talented ambassadors, Reba McEntire, who can deliver a masterful vocal performance like few others in the format. With a stunning string of 59 Top 10 singles, McEntire’s astonishing consistency is […]
More than anything else, life is all about timing. And perhaps more than any other genre, country music is the sonic equivalent of those ups and downs, represented by painful peels of the steel guitar, simple lyrics written by hillbilly Shakespeares and unbridled celebrations of births and rebirths alike. It doesn’t take a rehasing of […]
The musical restlessness that inspired Sugarland to drop in a reggae bridge on “Stuck on You,” especially contrasted against the conservatism that inspired country radio to cut the offending passage, is the duo’s most endearing and most frustrating trait. Playing to an audience they believe has tastes that go beyond twang, Jennifer Nettles and Kristian […]
There’s a quote from Drew Carey about people who hate their job: “There’s a support group for that. It’s called Everybody, and they meet at the bar.” If that support group has an official soundtrack, it’s probably Whitey Morgan and the 78s’ new, self-titled release, which is chock full of tunes for hard workers and […]
A preteen Taylor Swift, peering into her crystal ball, could hardly have imagined the great successes and loud failures that have marked her career so far. She’s sold thirteen million albums since 2006, staggering figures for a girl who is not yet allowed to drink outside her own apartment. She’s claimed the coveted Entertainer of […]
The Band Perry’s full-length debut features producers Nathan Chapman (Taylor Swift) and Paul Worley (Dixie Chicks, Lady Antebellum), but they resist the urge to pump up their sound on this rootsy pop-country effort. The Perrys stumble sometimes with awkward, quirky lyrics that never quite gel, but this first effort is a promising start for the […]
Siblings may not always get along, but they sure can harmonize, and when they’ve gotten together to sing, the results have often been magical. Country music has had its fair share of sibling acts–The Carter Family, The Louvins, and The Everly Brothers, to name a few–and the newest addition is The Secret Sisters. Laura and […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.