Cal Smith, Jim Shumate Pass Away; Tony Brown Charged with Domestic Assault; Randy Travis Expected to Return Home
Cal Smith passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Bluegrass fiddler and former Blue Grass Boy Jim Shumate has passed away. He was 91. Tony Brown has been arrested and charged with domestic assault “resulting in bodily injury this week related to an alleged dispute that Belle Meade Police were called to in September.” […]
Ray Price Battles Sepsis; Dale Watson to Reopen Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon; Is Folk Music Possible Anymore?
Ray Price developed a case of sepsis while in the hospital. This post on his official Facebook page says that Price is stable for now. Here’s a video for “Blacktop,” shot at Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show. Geoffrey Himes for Paste: Is folk music even possible anymore? By “folk music,” I refer not to the […]
Lee Ann Womack, Loretta Lynn Among Additions to George Jones Tribute; Taylor Swift Education Center to Open; Alan Jackson Releases New Video
Brad Paisley, Martina McBride, Big & Rich, Loretta Lynn, Lee Ann Womack, Craig Morgan, Thompson Square, Ronnie Milsap, Bill Anderson, and, uh, Megadeth have been added to the super-sized lineup of performers at what would have been George Jones’ final Nashville concert on November 22, which has now been named “Playin’ Possum: The Final No […]
Vote on Vanguard’s Record Store Day Releases; Alan Jackson Tops Bluegrass Charts; Travelin’ McCourys Announce Midwest Tour Dates
You can vote on the albums Vanguard Records will reissue for next year’s Record Store Day. Your options include releases by Doc Watson, Ramblin’ Jack Elliott, Odetta, and many others. This month’s free Blue Ridge Outdoors Trail Mix includes The Devil Makes Three, Brian Wright, Elephant Revival, and many more. Check out this Kacey Musgraves/2Pac […]
Willie Nelson Cancels Shows Due to Shoulder Injury; Rounder Records Plans Nashville Move; Little Big Town Plays Leno
The Opry is getting ready to celebrate its 88th birthday. Little Big Town will perform their new single, “Sober,” on Leno tonight. (via press release) If you weren’t at Golf & Guitars last May, check out this video recap, which features Joe Nichols, Joey Martin Feek, and a few other performers who attended the charity […]
Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama, JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers Records; WAMU Broadcasts Live from IBMA; Album Releases
Buck Moore (“Paint Me a Birmingham”), musician DeFord Bailey Jr., and steel guitarist/songwriter Bill West all passed away recently. Barry Mazor wrote about Alan Jackson’s The Bluegrass Album for The Wall Street Journal. Dailey & Vincent taped a live performance of “Steel Drivin’ Man” for CMT Edge. American Songwriter premiered Tim Easton’s video for “They […]
While pickin’ against the clock is the chosen way of many a bluegrass band, country great Alan Jackson has shown a knack for taking his sweet time. Rather than racing towards finish lines or pushing the boundaries of the genre, the self-professed “singer of simple songs” seems to relish every note, every solo break and […]
Vikki Sallee Passes Away; Valerie June Plays Leno; Josh Abbott Band Releases “She Will Be Free” Trailer
Singer-songwriter Vikki Sallee Dillard passed away at the age of 72. An excerpt from her obituary, written by Robert K. Oermann: Vikki Sallee began her singing career over KWHN radio in Ft. Smith, Ark. As a teen, she performed with Bob Luman and Wanda Jackson. Jackson became her mentor, and Sallee sang with the Rock […]
There’s a new marker honoring Jimmie Rodgers in Asheville, North Carolina. Kellie Pickler’s next album, The Woman I Am, comes out November 12. (via press release) Don Schlitz, The Mavericks, and Lady Antebellum have been added to the lineup for tomorrow’s ACM Honors. Jens Kruger won the 2013 Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo […]
No Justice is calling it quits after 12 years. The Red Dirt band will play its last shows in late October. George Strait is expected to announce his final tour dates at a press conference (which will be streamed on his website) Monday at noon EDT. On Sunday, Strait will serve as an honorary Dallas […]
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."