Kathy Mattea Signs with Sugar Hill; Herby Wallace Passes Away; ACM Awards Will Celebrate 50th Anniversary at Cowboys Stadium
Kathy Mattea has signed with Sugar Hill Records. Album Calling Me Home will be released later this year. Irish folk musician Barney McKenna of Dubliners passed away on Thursday. Pedal steel player Herby Wallace also passed away. He toured with Donna Fargo, Nat Stuckey, and Jody Miller, to name a few, and recorded with Alabama […]
Vince Gill Leaves MCA; Don Williams Plans New Album; Chet Flippo Discusses Social Commentary and Country Music
Vince Gill is leaving MCA after 23 years. If you’ve got an hour to spare and are interested in music and copyright law, check out this lecture from UCLA ethnomusicology professor Anthony Seeger, who “looks at the opposing positions of ‘Don’t pirate my music’ and ‘Knowledge wants to be free’ to discuss the more general […]
George Strait Remembers Chris LeDoux; Rhonda Vincent Adds New Band Member; Top Country/Roots Guitarists
If you punch a lady in the face at a Chris Young show, he’ll throw you out while singing about it. 48 of the Indiana stage collapse victims have sued Sugarland and 12 other defendants. Hearth Music posted an interview with old-time banjo player Riley Baugus, whose work has appeared on the Cold Mountain soundtrack […]
Cotton and country music have a long and passionate love affair together. “Cotton-Eyed Joe” is one of the earliest recorded country-folk songs on record. Cotton blue jeans are practically the stock uniform for contemporary country performers. And with as many drinking songs that have been written over the years, certainly a fair share of country […]
Loretta Lynn Cancels Shows Due to Pneumonia; Tennessee Launches Ring of Fire Trail; New Music Videos
76-year-old Loretta Lynn has cancelled two weeks of performances while she rests with a case of pneumonia. Gene Kurtz passed away. The talented musician co-wrote “Treat Her Right” and worked with artists like Charley Pride, Dale Watson, and many more. There is new music (and video) from songstress Emily West called “I Hate You, I […]
Blue Ridge Outdoors has a new, free “trail mix” compilation full of rootsy music for you to enjoy. Dolly Parton digs Alison Kraus and Beyonce. Also, her “first sexual encounter” was with Johnny Cash, via television. Vince Gill and Sting are going to tape an episode of CMT Crossroads in New York; it’ll air this […]
April 1860 to October 1861. That was the life span of the Pony Express. Almost unbelievably, one of the world’s most famous mail delivery services was only in operation for a year and a half. The massive undertaking involved 120 riders, 184 stations, 400 horses and several hundred personnel- all of which led to a […]
By now, there’s not a recording artist, country or otherwise, who hasn’t heard that we’re in a new era — fundamentally, a singles era. They’ve all heard how CD album chart leaders are topping those charts with lower sales figures than anyone can remember. And they’ve all heard horror stories (as have followers of The […]
Thursday on the blog, Blake reviewed Brad Paisley’s new single “Old Alabama,” which pays tribute to, well, old Alabama songs. The song received a thumbs down, and was criticized in the comment section as well. However, a few people were excited to hear the supergroup on radio again – regardless of how it was packaged. […]
Songwriters: by Chris DuBois, Brad Paisley, Randy Owen and Dave Turnbull With the second single from his forthcoming studio album This Is Country Music, Brad Paisley honors Country Music Hall of Famers Alabama with what will surely be a summertime staple at barbeques and beach parties. “Old Alabama,” a lite country-rock anthem of warm weather […]
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....