No Justice is calling it quits after 12 years. The Red Dirt band will play its last shows in late October. George Strait is expected to announce his final tour dates at a press conference (which will be streamed on his website) Monday at noon EDT. On Sunday, Strait will serve as an honorary Dallas […]
Patty Griffin Announces Fall Tour; Alan Jackson to Play Carnegie Hall; Musicians Hall of Fame Reopens This Week
Patty Griffin announced some fall tour dates. On the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington, USA Today put together a playlist of songs with ties to that historic day. Nashville’s Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum is reopening for the first time in more than three years. It’s in a new location now: the Nashville […]
Linda Ronstadt revealed in an AARP.org interview that she has Parkinson’s Disease and that it has robbed her of her ability to sing. The terrible Rim Fire near Yosemite has forced the cancellation of the long-running Strawberry Music Festival. (warning: autoplay) Trisha Yearwood confirmed in a television interview that she and Garth Brooks are working […]
Download a version of “Rambling Hobo” recorded by Doc Watson in 1976. (The song can be found on new Folkways compilation, Classic Banjo.) Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article: “How a Happy Accident Revolutionized Guitar Sound.” There’s a New York Times article on Mark Seliger, a photographer—he’s shot everyone from the Dalai Lama to JayZ—who moonlights […]
Kris Kristofferson to Appear on Troubadour, TX; Noam Pikelny to Deliver IBMA Keynote Address; Isbell Plays Letterman
Kris Kristofferson will appear on the third season of Troubadour, TX. This fall, ATO Records will release a two-disc set of Civil War-era songs recorded by Dolly Parton, Taj Mahal, and others. Listen to Loretta Lynn’s version of “Take Your Guns and Go, John.” Noam Pikelny will deliver the keynote address at IBMA’s World of […]
Ricky Skaggs & Sharon White Plan Duets Record; Stream Newport Folk Festival Performances; Album Releases
Lee Ann Womack tackles Paul McCartney’s “Let ‘Em In” for benefit album Let Us In Americana. Guy Clark’s on the cover of the new issue of American Songwriter. Read Marissa R. Moss’ excellent cover story. Jesse McReynolds will headline next month’s Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival. Overall album sales dropped 4.6 percent in the first half […]
Carrie Underwood Donates $1 Million for Oklahoma Relief; Bill Kirchen Talks Tele; HoF to Salute Bergen White
Carrie Underwood has donated $1 million to the Red Cross for tornado relief efforts. Paul Thorn has announced that anyone who attends his May 30 concert in Oklahoma and brings items to help aid the relief efforts will receive a free CD. Bill Kirchen talks about his Telecaster in this nifty video. On June 15, […]
ACM Awards Post Biggest Ratings Since 1998; Avett Brothers to Headline Newport Folk Festival; Album Releases
The new Brad Paisley-LL Cool J collaboration, “Accidental Racist,” blew up across the internet yesterday afternoon. Here’s a USA Today interview with Paisley as well (warning: autoplay). Sunday night’s ACM Awards were watched by 15.38 million viewers, the highest ratings these awards have seen since 1998. The Avett Brothers will headline the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Iris […]
JD Souther Named to Songwriters Hall of Fame; Cleotha Staples Passes Away; Jason Isbell & Amanda Shires Wed
Cleotha Staples, one of The Staple Singers, passed away at 78. JD Souther was elected to the Songwriters Hall of Fame and will be inducted in a ceremony later this year. Steve Dougherty interviewed and profiled Buddy Miller for the Wall Street Journal. Discussing the heart attack he had onstage in 2009, Miller said, “I […]
ACM Awards Nominees Announced; Alabama Plans 40th Anniversary Tour; Shooter Jennings Premieres New Song
The ACM Awards nominations were announced this morning (the full list of nominees can be found here): Songwriter of the Year Rodney Clawson Dallas Davidson Josh Kear Luke Laird Shane McAnally Entertainer of the Year Jason Aldean Luke Bryan Miranda Lambert Blake Shelton Taylor Swift Male Vocalist of the Year Jason Aldean Luke Bryan Eric […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …