The IBMA Awards were last night. Here are the winners: Hall of Fame Inductees: Tony Rice and Paul Warren Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Album of the Year: Balsam Range, Papertown Instrumental Group of the Year: The Boxcars Vocal Group of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Song of the Year: The Gibson Brothers, […]
While pickin’ against the clock is the chosen way of many a bluegrass band, country great Alan Jackson has shown a knack for taking his sweet time. Rather than racing towards finish lines or pushing the boundaries of the genre, the self-professed “singer of simple songs” seems to relish every note, every solo break and […]
Brad Paisley Gives Google Talk; Stream Brian Wright, Shelby Lynne Songs; Wide Open Bluegrass Schedule Announced
Brad Paisley recently participated in the Talks at Google series. Listen to his 30-minute session here. Remember the time Johnny Cash played a murderer on Columbo? Check out Shelby Lynne’s “Brother, Where Are You” from the benefit compilation Pennies from Heaven. The Blue Ridge Outdoors September Trail Mix (download it for free here) includes songs […]
Jim Foglesong Passes Away; Blackberry Smoke Plays Leno; Lorraine Jordan & Carolina Road Sign with Pinecastle
Jim Foglesong passed away yesterday at the age of 90. Foglesong, a Country Music Hall of Famer, was a music executive and professor who was integral to the careers of Garth Brooks, George Strait, Reba McEntire, The Oak Ridge Boys, and many, many more. The inaugural Loretta Lynn’s Gospel Music Festival will be held at […]
Naomi Judd Calls Out CMT Awards; Americana Fest Announces Performers; Newport Folk Festival Goes Way Over Yonder
Salon.com posted an excerpt from Michael Streissguth’s new book, Outlaw. Chris Stapleton: superhero? Adam Steffey’s New Primitive comes out next week. Our friend Kelly Dearmore wrote a lengthy feature on Zane Williams for the Dallas Observer. Country California posted a new Quotable Country. Stream Sturgill Simpson’s “Hero” on CMT Edge. In a letter to the editor posted on […]
Jason Molina passed away Saturday at the age of 39. David Allan Coe ran a red light in Ocala, Florida, and was T-boned by a semi early this morning. Coe and the two people in the truck have been hospitalized with “non-life-threatening conditions.” On Saturday in Chicago, the Museum of Broadcast Communications will pay tribute […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012′s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
Few artists have changed the landscape of music like Earl Scruggs, whose three-fingered banjo technique has become an integral element of bluegrass. In a few weeks, an album featuring just a few of the myriad musicians he influenced will finally see the light of day. In the works since 2006, Foggy Mountain Special: A Bluegrass […]
Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country […]
With roots in rural Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Kentucky and a sound built around acoustic string instruments, bluegrass and old-time share many of the same genes. Much like homo erectus evolving into homo sapien, the banjo grew a resonator and fingerpicks, but the musical DNA of the two styles remains largely similar. As its […]
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …