John A. Brown, one of the two men convicted in the 1973 murders of Stringbean and Estelle Akeman, has been granted parole. The Tennessean reports that Brown, who had been up for parole six times prior to yesterday’s hearing, when he appeared “before five of the seven members of the Tennessee Board of Parole. Four […]
Little Jimmy Dickens to Begin Radiation Treatment; Big Sandy, Farewell Drifters Plan Album Releases; New Sturgill Simpson Video
Little Jimmy Dickens will begin short-term radiation next week to treat the “precancerous condition” found on his vocal cords. April’s ACM Awards netted the annual event’s “highest ratings in 15 years,” according to ACM CEO Bob Romeo. Sturgill Simpson’s “Railroad of Sin” video premiered on Saving Country Music. The Farewell Drifters have signed with Compass […]
Tanya Tucker recently released an album of covers that she credits her father for introducing to her and in October, Rosanne Cash will release a new album, The List, consisting of songs from a list that her father gave her. But before Cash’s album, there will be yet another album released credited to the influence […]
John Rich was booted from Cafe Coco early this morning after a server asked him to surrender his beer during a Roger Miller song. …when the server went to grab the beer, John snatched it up first and threw it over the fence into the street — right in front of the police sergeant. You […]
Tim McGraw is set to co-star with Sandra Bullock in the upcoming movie The Blind Side, which is based on Michael Lewis’ best-selling book, The Blind Side: Evolution of the Game, and inspired by the true story of Michael Oher, a homeless African-American teenager who is befriended by a wealthy family. For you Californians, That […]
Danny Dill, one of the songwriters behind Lefty Frizzell’s “Long Black Veil” and Bobby Bare’s “Detroit City,” passed away on Thursday at the age of 83. If you’re not familiar with “Long Black Veil,” read the story behind the song in Stop Cutting Hits: The Story of Lefty Frizzell’s “The Long Black Veil.” PopMatters‘ Joseph […]
As remarkable as Eddy Arnold‘s country music career was, Chet Flippo says, “his lasting legacy will be that he made the world safe for country pop music.” Flippo also pulled a snippet from a CMT interview where Arnold recalled one of the first times he recognized the split between pop and hillbilly music. Peter Cooper […]
Songwriters: Adam Hood Adam Hood is an Alabama native adopted by Texas’ Red Dirt scene and he recorded his last album in California. He travels all over the South, playing nearly 300 shows a year, making the road his actual home; a modern-day troubador if there ever was one. He doesn’t fit within the confines […]
The sheriff’s department in Tyler, Texas is investigating an alleged assault case involving Miranda Lambert. According to reports, Lambert and her boyfriend Blake Shelton were attending a CD release party for an Adam Hood show when she was approached by Aisha Esbay for a photograph. She said Lambert told her “maybe later.” Esbay said she […]
Although the charts aren’t officially out until Thursday, word has it that George Strait earned his 56th No. 1 with “I Saw God Today.” Another day, another pop artist wanting to make the crossover. Nelly Furtado has recorded a duet with Keith Urban on one of her previous hits, “In God’s Hands.” Check it out […]
- luckyoldsun: If they're only allowed one modern inductee per year in the H-o-F, then there's a backlog developing. You have Skaggs, …
- Leeann Ward: I'm not an ETC fan, but I do love "Brotherly Love" with Keith Whitley.
- luckyoldsun: It's got to be "What I'd Say." (I think that's the title.) There was some question, I believe, over whether …
- Paul W Dennis: probably "Nobody Falls Like A Fool" or "Silent Treatment"
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Where in heck's name is "That Was A Close One"?!?!? It's the guy's best song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrR_2rXiKA0
- Cody: Love seeing ETC getting some credit! My five, in no particular order at first; Crowd Around the Corner Home So Fine I Have …
- Juli Thanki: I think it's technically a Keith Whitley song, but I've always been fond of his duet with ETC, "Brotherly Love."
- luckyoldsun: Lots of very good artists have not had anywhere near the radio play and hits that Lee Ann Womack has …
- Hard Times: Just read Jewly Hight's feature on Womack. I couldn't believe Womack has had only a half dozen or so Top …
- Barry Mazor: Leeann, Im not surprised about your sister's response--or that, for many, Garth Brooks now equals the ancient days of country …