Robert Earl Keen’s been added to the MerleFest lineup. (via press release) The building that housed Quad Studios, a Nashville studio where Neil Young, Joan Baez, Keith Urban, Old Crow Medicine Show, and lots more have recorded since 1970, will become the new headquarters for Round Hill Music in 2015. The studio will be available for rental. […]
Adam Hood discusses songwriting and his new album in this CMT Edge Q&A. Bloodshot Records get some love from hometown paper The Chicago Tribune. If you’ve got an hour, check out this BBC documentary, Bob Harris: My Nashville. Here’s a new Punch Brothers song called “Blow It Off.” It’ll be on their next album, which […]
The Marshall Tucker Band, Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn, The Gibson Brothers, North Mississippi Allstars, Del McCoury, Bruce Robison and Kelly Willis, and Hot Rize are among the acts slated to play MerleFest 2015. Robert Deaton, executive producer of the CMA Awards, promises that tomorrow’s show will include a “surprise guest in one of our […]
John A. Brown, one of the two men convicted in the 1973 murders of Stringbean and Estelle Akeman, has been granted parole. The Tennessean reports that Brown, who had been up for parole six times prior to yesterday’s hearing, when he appeared “before five of the seven members of the Tennessee Board of Parole. Four […]
Little Jimmy Dickens to Begin Radiation Treatment; Big Sandy, Farewell Drifters Plan Album Releases; New Sturgill Simpson Video
Little Jimmy Dickens will begin short-term radiation next week to treat the “precancerous condition” found on his vocal cords. April’s ACM Awards netted the annual event’s “highest ratings in 15 years,” according to ACM CEO Bob Romeo. Sturgill Simpson’s “Railroad of Sin” video premiered on Saving Country Music. The Farewell Drifters have signed with Compass […]
Tanya Tucker recently released an album of covers that she credits her father for introducing to her and in October, Rosanne Cash will release a new album, The List, consisting of songs from a list that her father gave her. But before Cash’s album, there will be yet another album released credited to the influence […]
John Rich was booted from Cafe Coco early this morning after a server asked him to surrender his beer during a Roger Miller song. …when the server went to grab the beer, John snatched it up first and threw it over the fence into the street — right in front of the police sergeant. You […]
Tim McGraw is set to co-star with Sandra Bullock in the upcoming movie The Blind Side, which is based on Michael Lewis’ best-selling book, The Blind Side: Evolution of the Game, and inspired by the true story of Michael Oher, a homeless African-American teenager who is befriended by a wealthy family. For you Californians, That […]
Danny Dill, one of the songwriters behind Lefty Frizzell’s “Long Black Veil” and Bobby Bare’s “Detroit City,” passed away on Thursday at the age of 83. If you’re not familiar with “Long Black Veil,” read the story behind the song in Stop Cutting Hits: The Story of Lefty Frizzell’s “The Long Black Veil.” PopMatters‘ Joseph […]
As remarkable as Eddy Arnold‘s country music career was, Chet Flippo says, “his lasting legacy will be that he made the world safe for country pop music.” Flippo also pulled a snippet from a CMT interview where Arnold recalled one of the first times he recognized the split between pop and hillbilly music. Peter Cooper […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...