George Jones’ Graveside Monument Unveiled; Haden Triplets to Release Third Man Debut in February; Album Releases
George Jones’ graveside monument was unveiled yesterday. Nancy Jones announced that she’s starting a scholarship in his name at Middle Tennessee State University. Katie Armiger, Brent Cobb, Chris Janson, and Corey Smith will take part in a guitar pull on December 10 to raise funds for the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Owen […]
One Out of Every Five Albums Sold Belong to Taylor Swift; Jason Aldean Leads Releases; Charlie Louvin Benefit DVD Seeks Backers
Taylor Swift‘s Speak Now is a lock to sell more than a million copies in its first week, and HITS Daily Double is reporting that 17-18% of all album sales belonged to Swift, which would be a new record. (via Music Mix) To help offset Charlie Louvin‘s medical bills, the folks at Judd Films have […]
Tracy Lawrence is at work on a new album that addresses hard times, so it’s only logical that it’s tentatively titled Hard Times. In an interview with The Daily Times’ Steve Wildsmith, Lawrence says the bulk of the album is the traditional fare he’s known for, but he had to make some concessions to get […]
Gord Bamford & Johnny Reid Lead CCMA Awards; Brad Pitt To Play Jerry Lee Lewis; Preview Loretta’s Tribute
With four trophies apiece, Gord Bamford (MySpace) and Johnny Reid (MySpace) left Sunday night’s male-dominated Canadian Country Music Awards the big winners. Outside of the main categories, female duo One More Girl (MySpace) was named rising star of the year, pulling in one of the few wins for the women, while perennial favorite Corb Lund […]
With her win at last night’s ACM Awards, Carrie Underwood became the first woman to win entertainer of the year twice. Other notable facts from the ACM Awards website: Brad Paisley is the only artist to win three or more consecutive honors in the top male vocalist of the year category (last night was his […]
A lifetime spent listening to music has taught me a lot about Saturday night. It is, for example, all right for fighting or going to the movies, not to mention a good night to simultaneously keep dancing to the rock and roll and work on one’s spelling, and those are just the pop songs. Nobody […]
The second installment of our countdown of the decade’s top 100 albums is a male-dominated affair, save for a Georgia peach with big old voice and a young Aussie Sheila with a love for traditional country. 90. Twice The Speed Of Life (2004) – Sugarland Twice The Speed Of Life may not be the most […]
Christie’s Country Sale; Taylor Swift Inks Deal to Write Greeting Cards; New Music Magazine Launches in January
On December 3, Christie’s will hold The Country Music Sale, its first sale dedicated to the creation, history, and evolution of Country Music. The foundation of the sale consists of property from the estate of Hank Thompson, but also includes memorabilia from Roy Rogers, Hank Snow, Hank Williams, and many more classic country artists. There […]
Songwriter: Elliot Park There are umpteen “road” songs out there, but few are told from the road’s point of view. After all, what’s a slab of asphalt got to say? Turns out the road is full of tough love, telling its travelers “I offer many choices and places you can go/But you must choose/I’m just […]
Garth Brooks Tickets Sold Out; Little Doug Sahm’s First Single; Country Music Displacing Rock n’ Roll
Sell Outs: The first 20 shows of Garth Brooks‘ gig at the Wynn Las Vegas resort sold out in less than five hours and four of Taylor Swift‘s 2010 tour dates sold out in two minutes on Friday. Next month marks 10 years since the passing of Doug Sahm. The folks at Texas Music Matters […]
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.