Events and releases have conspired to put the Carter Family front and center for me through this past month. It’s not the iconic, commonly sentimentalized version of them that’s been brought into fresh focus, though—the domesticated diamonds in the rough, forever simple, down home in their Clinch Mountain “fold”— but the sometimes complicated, breathing, talented […]
Carlene Carter’s new album, Carter Girl, joyously celebrates the beauty, the cantankerousness, the melancholy, and the sheer glad-to-be-alive spirit of the music of the first family of country music to which she is heir. Selecting 10 glittering gems from the wealth of the Carter Family’s deep catalog, she honors the music of her forbearers A.P. […]
The Carter Family is essential to understanding the roots of country music, not just its foundation in Appalachian balladry but also its great emphasis on the modest pleasure of faith, family, and home. Not quite as mythic as the lives of Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, or blackface minstrel Emmett Miller, the story of A.P., Sara, […]
Rosa Lee Watson passed away on Thursday, six months after Doc, her husband of more than 60 years. Songwriter Frank Dycus, whose credits include “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair” and “Unwound,” passed away on Friday. He was 72. Walter Hensley, the “Banjo Baron of Baltimore,” passed away on Saturday at the age of 76. […]
BluegrassJournal.com posted a list of the winners from last night’s IBMA Awards where Dailey & Vincent, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Dan Tyminski, and Dale Ann Bradley were among the big award winners. And Peter Cooper has a recap of the awards show and performances. And The Bluegrass Blog has pictures. And…I got nothin’ else. This […]
Retired country star Garth Brooks performed an intimate concert for members of the Nashville Predators on Sunday at the Tin Roof to show his appreciation for their donations to his Teammates For Kids charity. A statement regarding Buddy Miller‘s health, along with an address to send wishes, was posted in his MySpace blog. New releases […]
Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood hauled in awards in the country category at the American Music Awards on Sunday. Jerry Jeff Walker warmed the crowd for George Jones on Saturday night in Grand Prairie, TX and 30 minutes away, a frail Loretta Lynn fought off the fatigue and overheating to turn […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.