Events and releases have conspired to put the Carter Family front and center for me through this past month. It’s not the iconic, commonly sentimentalized version of them that’s been brought into fresh focus, though—the domesticated diamonds in the rough, forever simple, down home in their Clinch Mountain “fold”— but the sometimes complicated, breathing, talented […]
Carlene Carter’s new album, Carter Girl, joyously celebrates the beauty, the cantankerousness, the melancholy, and the sheer glad-to-be-alive spirit of the music of the first family of country music to which she is heir. Selecting 10 glittering gems from the wealth of the Carter Family’s deep catalog, she honors the music of her forbearers A.P. […]
The Carter Family is essential to understanding the roots of country music, not just its foundation in Appalachian balladry but also its great emphasis on the modest pleasure of faith, family, and home. Not quite as mythic as the lives of Jimmie Rodgers, Hank Williams, or blackface minstrel Emmett Miller, the story of A.P., Sara, […]
Rosa Lee Watson passed away on Thursday, six months after Doc, her husband of more than 60 years. Songwriter Frank Dycus, whose credits include “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair” and “Unwound,” passed away on Friday. He was 72. Walter Hensley, the “Banjo Baron of Baltimore,” passed away on Saturday at the age of 76. […]
BluegrassJournal.com posted a list of the winners from last night’s IBMA Awards where Dailey & Vincent, Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper, Dan Tyminski, and Dale Ann Bradley were among the big award winners. And Peter Cooper has a recap of the awards show and performances. And The Bluegrass Blog has pictures. And…I got nothin’ else. This […]
Retired country star Garth Brooks performed an intimate concert for members of the Nashville Predators on Sunday at the Tin Roof to show his appreciation for their donations to his Teammates For Kids charity. A statement regarding Buddy Miller‘s health, along with an address to send wishes, was posted in his MySpace blog. New releases […]
Brad Paisley, Rascal Flatts, Taylor Swift and Carrie Underwood hauled in awards in the country category at the American Music Awards on Sunday. Jerry Jeff Walker warmed the crowd for George Jones on Saturday night in Grand Prairie, TX and 30 minutes away, a frail Loretta Lynn fought off the fatigue and overheating to turn […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.