Mickey “Guitar” Baker passed away at the age of 87. He might be best-known for “Love is Strange,” his hit with Sylvia Robinson. Here’s Chuck Mead’s version of “Will Santa Come to Shanty Town.” And a Christmas song from JD McPherson. McPherson also participated in a recent episode of The Attic Sessions. Charlie Daniels talks about […]
Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When […]
Hank Jr. Announces Take Back the Country Tour; 1 in 5 Country Fans Don’t Listen to Country Radio; Ryan Adams Covers Dio
Federal appeals court ruled that Roger Miller’s widow does not own the rights to songs including “King of the Road,” “Dang Me,” and others. According to a study released yesterday at CRS, one in five country music fans never tunes in to country radio, instead getting their music from other sources. The study also came […]
Blues musician David “Honeyboy” Edwards passed away yesterday at the age of 96. Miranda Lambert moves to RCA Nashville as part of Sony Music Nashville’s restructuring. In other Miranda news, on her Dateline special, she talked about falling in love with a married Blake Shelton (and his mullet). No charges have been filed after federal […]
Early in the 1970’s, a hybrid of rock and roll, blues and country music became immensely popular with a collection of artists from the heartland of America, and was appropriately deemed southern rock. Often thought to be too electric guitar-dominated for country radio at that time, groups like the Allman Brothers, the Charlie Daniels Band, […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."