Taylor Swift & Kris Kristofferson Swap Songs/Compliments; Jerry Lee Lewis’ Duet Album Wasn’t Supposed To Be
- Writing for the L.A. Times’ music blog Pop & Hiss, Randy Lewis recapped last Thursday’s All for the Hall benefit with Kris Kristofferson, Emmylou Harris, Vince Gill, Taylor Swift, and Lionel Richie. Chris Willman wrote about the song swap for CMT.
- Zac Brown Band elicits strong feelings in The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards.
But Brown isn’t really peddling country music so much as a noxious mash of bar-band schlock, jam-band haze, freedom rock pomp and whatever it is that makes Dave Matthews induce dry heaves. The frontman’s proud, clarion tenor resides at the center of his band’s ambling licks, as he doles out lyrical wisdom-nuggets worthy of those motivational posters where dolphins leap out of the surf and into some Godforsaken dentist’s office.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 09/26/10 Edition
- Follow The Bluegrass Blog for frequent updates on events and happenings at IBMA World of Bluegrass this week.
- Who is hairier: Matthew McConaughey in a gorilla suit or Jamey Johnson? (via The Boot)
- Songwriters Dallas Davidson and Rhett Atkins teamed up with Outdoor Channel personality Michael Waddell to record a collection of songs about hunting and fishing. The album, titled Michael Waddell’s Bone Collector: The Brotherhood Album featuring Rhett Akins and Dallas Davidson, will be released Sept. 28 on Warner Bros. Records.
- Author Rick Bass talked to Weekend Edition Saturday host Liane Hansen about his new novel about the country music sibling-trio The Browns and the defining qualities of their sound, which he calls Nashville Chrome. (Paul W. Dennis wrote about one of The Browns, Jim Ed, last year in his Forgotten Artists series.)
- Travis Tritt has been cast to play a part in the new movie Fishers of Men.
- Kenny Chesney tells Peter Cooper that he had an album recorded near the end of last summer, before he took a break from touring, but as he listened to the tracks something wasn’t right:
“I put it in my CD player and listened, and I called Buddy back before he’d even left the studio,” the country star said. “I said, ‘There’s 11 songs on this album, but we’ve really only got four.’ I wanted so bad to be finished, but it was a moment where I had to do some soul-searching as an artist. The songs sounded good, but they were passionless, and I knew in my heart that we didn’t have it.”
- Toby Keith recently performed “Bullets in the Gun,” the title track from his new album, for CMT Invitation Only. Watch the video here.
- Whatever music he’s playing, Toby Keith is a big draw:
“I have a side group called the Incognito Banditos,” Keith says. “It’s a blues group with me and some great session players, and we decided to do a show in New York at the Fillmore. I called up the venue and told them not to spend a dime on advertising, just to announce the show, and it sold out in five minutes.”
Four cover songs performed during that show will appear on some special editions of his new release: “11 Months and 29 Days,” “I’ve been a Long Time Leaving (But I’ll Be a Long Time Gone),” “Chug-a-lug,” and “Sundown.”
- Initially, Jerry Lee Lewis and his co-producers wanted to avoid recording a duets record, but there was an outpouring of requests to join the Killer on his new album, Mean Old Man. So much so, that Lewis only has three solo performances, one of which is Kristofferson’s “Sunday Morning Coming Down.”
- My Kind of Country highlighted Amber Digby‘s 2008 album Passion Pride, and What Might Have Been.
Here’s Matraca Berg performing her song “You and Tequila,” which will be on the new Kenny Chesney album as a duet with Grace Potter.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.