Sweeney, Musgraves Among ACM Newcomer Award Nominees; Gill, Harris to Play “All for the Hall” Concert in NYC; Son Volt Announces New Album
- Brian T. Atkinson interviewed Kris Kristofferson for CMT Edge.
- In March, the Country Music Association will host the first International Country Music Marketing Summit at Disneyland Paris.
- PopMatters’ Dave Heaton asks, “How much can the genre of country music progress if it’s spending all of its time looking back?”
- The Bluegrass Situation posted a neat video of Del McCoury and Sam Bush from their recent tour.
- On March 5, Son Volt will release their new record, Honky Tonk, on Rounder Records. The band also announced a string of tour dates.
- Mindy McCready’s boyfriend, David Wilson, passed away. He was 34.
- CMT Edge’s Chris Parton interviewed Americana duo Whitehorse.
- Elizabeth Cook and two band members played “Gospel Plow” for CMT.
- Sarah Darling will release her Home to Me EP on January 29.
- Emmylou Harris and Vince Gill will perform at an “All for the Hall” benefit concert in New York on February 26.
- In March, Alan Jackson will headline a show at the Ryman to benefit the Colon Cancer Alliance.
- Noah Berlatsky of The Atlantic looks at the “long, complicated history” of mothers in country music: Country’s obsession with mamas is part and parcel of its obsession with tradition. It’s one of the many ways that the music evokes and points to the rural past which it both constantly idolizes and constantly (though sometimes surreptitiously) celebrates its liberation from. Mama, then, becomes a convenient trope; a way to declare one’s love for that old-time morality while emphasizing one’s own tragic/sexy/cool/funny independence from it.
- CMT’s Craig Shelburne looks at ten of country music’s most popular trios, including The Carter Family.
- Black Prairie played an NPR Tiny Desk Concert.
- Lucinda Williams recorded a new version of “Joy” for West of Memphis: Voices for Justice. Listen here.
- Jack White’s label, Third Man, has teamed up with Document Records to reissue the complete works of Charley Patton, Blind Willie McTell, and The Mississippi Sheiks.
- This piece on World Café tackles the history of Stax Records.
- Raoul Hernandez reviewed Alejandro Escovedo’s recent four-hour show at the Moody Theater.
- Dylan Owens of Reverb listed the most-anticipated bluegrass records of 2013.
- Sunny Sweeney, Kacey Musgraves, Jana Kramer, Lee Brice, Brantley Gilbert, Hunter Hayes, Love and Theft, Florida Georgia Line, and Thompson Square are the nominees in the 2013 ACM “newcomer” categories. Voting starts January 21, and “winners in each of the three categories will automatically become nominees for the overall New Artist of the Year award; which will also be determined by a combined fan and professional membership vote.”
- American Songwriter posted a Q&A with John Fogerty.
- Kenny Chesney announced new tour dates.
- So did The Drive-By Truckers.
- Lulu Roman’s (Hee Haw) album, At Last, features guest appearances from Dolly Parton, Linda Davis, and others.
- Album releases:
Chris King – 1983
Bill Carter – Unknown
Punch Drunks – Tears for Beers
The Highballers – Soft Music and Hard Liquor
Lulu Roman – At Last
Jeff Black – B-Sides and Confessions, Volume 2
Katie Armiger – Fall Into Me
Jeff Byrd & Dirty Finch – Jumped That Train
Amber Digby – The World You’re Living In
The Lone Bellow – The Lone Bellow (iTunes and independent record stores only. The widespread release is next week.)
Various Artists – West of Memphis: Voices for Justice
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.