Superstar Singer Joins NFL Team’s Practice Squad
- You’ll never believe who the newest workout partner for the New Orleans Saints is — Kenny Chesney, if only for a day. He’ll be suiting up to run through drills with the team on August 17th, the day before their pre-season game with the Bengals. You got to wonder what Peyton Manning thinks about all this.
- Watch: One of our readers from Australia wrote in to let us know about the newest single from an emerging artist in the land down under, Rob Black. The single, “Regular Guy”, is a fun ditty celebrating the irresistible appeal of the common man. YouTube: Rob Black – “Regular Guy”
- Sean Moores provided us with his six rules for maximum concert enjoyment, but prefers to call them “routines” because it sounds less rigid. So basically, they’re guidelines. Are there any guidelines you follow when attending a concert?
- Apparently the pairing of alternative bluegrass band Nickel Creek and Fiona Apple was inevitable.
- Tom Roland has a nice recap of the Buck Owens Birthday Bash that took place in Bakersfield on Tuesday night.
After the final chord in “The Streets of Bakersfield,” Dwight Yoakam’s mouth quivered just a bit as he hugged Buddy Owens, who had just handled the lyrics in the song associated with his late father.
- Country Universe says the 1993 Women of Country documentary is essential viewing, so essential in fact, that he’s provided you with links to thirteen YouTube videos.
- Martina McBride and Sara Evans saw sales spike more than 150% after ABC aired the “CMA Music Festival: Country’s Night to Rock” special towards the end of last month. Other artists saw a increase as well, although not as large and McBride and Evans.
- Rosie Flores comes across as a woman who has been everywhere and done almost everything there is to do. The Austin Chronicle has a great article covering her musical career. Once dubbed the “female Dwight Yoakam” because the labels didn’t have any way to market her, she later became known as The Rockabilly Filly. Flores is surprisingly candid about her life. She talks about getting into Gram Parsons’ pants, touring non-stop, and the mom she could have been.
- Dierks Bentley sat down with Sam Bush for some one on one discussion, Q&A style, in the latest Country Weekly. Check out the web exclusive questions on their website.
- Billy Joe Shaver says that his kind of gospel may carry a little harder edge than traditional tunes.
- Stuart Munro: I think this just moves the location of the discussion, Jack. If I named a bunch of rock artists who …
- Leeann Ward: Um, that's too much geekery for me to follow, Sam! My husband would understand you though.:)
- Jack Williams: Alabama Shakes won the AMA Emerging artist award couple of years ago. Also, classic soul influenced artists like Bettye Lavette, …
- Applejack: It certainly seems to me like the inclusion of St. Paul and the Broken Bones stretches the limits of how …
- Stuart Munro: Yes, that's the issue: is the tent so big as to have no boundaries? What *isn't* Americana? Is jazz? Is …
- Jack Williams: Um, roots music, that is.
- Jack Williams: Well, Americana is a pretty big tent. Classic southern soul falls under my personal definition of root music.
- Stuart Munro: Is it just me...or does the idea of St. Paul and the Broken Bones being an Americana act really strain …
- Sam G.: Loki Is playing Hank Williams in a new movie, and Thor bought the rights to a book about him. I …
- Roger: Fabulous interview and fantastic new music that I will listen to over and over again.