Sunny Sweeney Signs with Thirty Tigers; ABC Cancels Malibu Country, Renews Nashville; New Music Videos
- Sunny Sweeney has gotten a new record deal with Thirty Tigers after parting ways with Big Machine/Republic Nashville Records last year. (via press release)
- Hunter Hayes, Pistol Annies, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, and Taylor Swift will perform at the CMT Awards on June 5.
- Reba McEntire’s Malibu County television series was canceled by ABC. Nashville was picked up for a second season.
- Chris Stapleton has released a video teasing his first single for Universal Music, “What Are You Listening To?”
- Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row bar and restaurant will open in Scottsdale on July 4.
- Call him Dr. Rucker: Darius Rucker received an honorary doctorate of music from the University of South Carolina.
- Willie Nelson received an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music.
- Ronnie Dunn shared a clip of a new song he’s been working on called, “Peace, Love and Country Music.”
- Lauren Alaina has recorded two new songs for a Sea World attraction called “Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin.”
- The Pistol Annies’ debut album Hell on Heels was certified gold.
- Toby Keith will be presented with The National Music Publishers’ Association 2013 Songwriter Icon Award in June.
- Chuck Dauphin makes his case for Larry Gatlin’s induction into the Nashville Songwriter’s Association International Hall of Fame.
- Occasional Hope at My Kind of Country heaps praise on the new Dailey and Vincent album, Brothers of the Highway.
- Natalie Maines keeps burning country music bridges.
- Jana Kramer’s new film, Heart of the Country, premiered at the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival.
- Country Aircheck posted some interesting information from a new radio study. Clear Channel’s “State of Listening in America,” a comprehensive study of the listening habits of 1,000 respondents conducted by Latitude Research and OpenMind Strategy, finds:
•92% of Americans regularly tune to AM/FM radio.
•85% of listeners feel radio is more accessible than ever.
•66% agree that their favorite radio stations reflect who they are as a person.
•72% believe that radio feels more “human” than the internet.
•78% agree that radio has the power to make a difference in the community.
- Congratulations to the winner of our Golf & Guitars VI giveaway: Heather M. Check your email, Heather.
- New music videos from the last week or so:
Tim McGraw – “Highway Don’t Care”
Blake Shelton – “Boys ‘Round Here”
Pistol Annies – “Hush Hush”
Randy Houser – “Runnin’ Outta Moonlight”
Justin Moore – “Point at You”
The Black Lillies – “The Fall”
Rosco Bandana – “Woe is Me”
The Lone Bellow – “Bleeding Out”
Kacey Musgraves – “Blowin’ Smoke”
Great Peacock – “Family Home”
Robyn and Ryleigh – “Just Another Sundown”
Jason McGilligan – “Broken Engagement”
Angela Hesse – “Which One of You Boys?”
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …