Sunny Sweeney Signs with Thirty Tigers; ABC Cancels Malibu Country, Renews Nashville; New Music Videos
- Sunny Sweeney has gotten a new record deal with Thirty Tigers after parting ways with Big Machine/Republic Nashville Records last year. (via press release)
- Hunter Hayes, Pistol Annies, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, and Taylor Swift will perform at the CMT Awards on June 5.
- Reba McEntire’s Malibu County television series was canceled by ABC. Nashville was picked up for a second season.
- Chris Stapleton has released a video teasing his first single for Universal Music, “What Are You Listening To?”
- Dierks Bentley’s Whiskey Row bar and restaurant will open in Scottsdale on July 4.
- Call him Dr. Rucker: Darius Rucker received an honorary doctorate of music from the University of South Carolina.
- Willie Nelson received an honorary doctorate from Berklee College of Music.
- Ronnie Dunn shared a clip of a new song he’s been working on called, “Peace, Love and Country Music.”
- Lauren Alaina has recorded two new songs for a Sea World attraction called “Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin.”
- The Pistol Annies’ debut album Hell on Heels was certified gold.
- Toby Keith will be presented with The National Music Publishers’ Association 2013 Songwriter Icon Award in June.
- Chuck Dauphin makes his case for Larry Gatlin’s induction into the Nashville Songwriter’s Association International Hall of Fame.
- Occasional Hope at My Kind of Country heaps praise on the new Dailey and Vincent album, Brothers of the Highway.
- Natalie Maines keeps burning country music bridges.
- Jana Kramer’s new film, Heart of the Country, premiered at the Cape Fear Independent Film Festival.
- Country Aircheck posted some interesting information from a new radio study. Clear Channel’s “State of Listening in America,” a comprehensive study of the listening habits of 1,000 respondents conducted by Latitude Research and OpenMind Strategy, finds:
•92% of Americans regularly tune to AM/FM radio.
•85% of listeners feel radio is more accessible than ever.
•66% agree that their favorite radio stations reflect who they are as a person.
•72% believe that radio feels more “human” than the internet.
•78% agree that radio has the power to make a difference in the community.
- Congratulations to the winner of our Golf & Guitars VI giveaway: Heather M. Check your email, Heather.
- New music videos from the last week or so:
Tim McGraw – “Highway Don’t Care”
Blake Shelton – “Boys ‘Round Here”
Pistol Annies – “Hush Hush”
Randy Houser – “Runnin’ Outta Moonlight”
Justin Moore – “Point at You”
The Black Lillies – “The Fall”
Rosco Bandana – “Woe is Me”
The Lone Bellow – “Bleeding Out”
Kacey Musgraves – “Blowin’ Smoke”
Great Peacock – “Family Home”
Robyn and Ryleigh – “Just Another Sundown”
Jason McGilligan – “Broken Engagement”
Angela Hesse – “Which One of You Boys?”
- Joe Mekler: Not only is this a fun tune with an unusual form but it is politically appropriate for the present times!
- Paul W Dennis: Moot Davis deserves much wider success than he's had thus far. I have a couple of his albums and they …
- Ron Estepp: Great toe tapper, dance song and straight lyrics. I need more!
- Arlene: Another loss. Here's one of my favorite Jesse Winchester performances: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uKGWpqnS8E
- bob: I like that Wendy Colonna song. I'll have to check out more of her music. I have the 2 Delbert & …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Holy moly, that Peter Cooper article on Ray Price is a doozy. I haven't yet had a chance to listen …
- Juli Thanki: Update from The Commercial Appeal: One of music’s sweetest voices and most incisive songwriters, Jesse Winchester, has died. The 69 …
- Barry Mazor: A very good case could be made that the Newport "Folk" festival is now an Americana festival--the two not …
- TexasVet: Here's Bonnie Raitt, Emmylou Harris & Carrie Underwood singing "Blue Bayou" Last night at the Rock and Roll Hall of …
- Jeff Miller: That Peter Cooper double shot is powerful!