Sugarland Scores No. 1 With Hit Single “Stay”
- Sugarland’s “Stay” hit No. 1 on
Billboardthe Mediabase/Country Aircheck chart.
- Owen Temple started out playing the Texas music scene with Cory Morrow and Pat Green, but temporarily shelved that part of his career when he moved to Wisconsin to study psychology at graduate school. Now he’s back in Texas and on the verge of releasing his next album, Two Thousand Miles. Galleywinter has an insightful 20 Questions with Temple that’ll catch you up on everything you don’t know about this singer-songwriter.
What are the main differences in live music crowds you’ve encountered outside of Texas when compared to those in your home region?
In Texas, we have a culture of seeking out and supporting independent artists. That old Independence thing again — remember the Alamo? (laughs) Support of independent artists happens everywhere, but it seems to happen more passionately and by more people in Texas.
- Whit Watson, play-by-play sports announcer for Sun Sports and FSN Florida, recalls the time he met Shania Twain in a bar, yet didn’t know it was her until years later.
Emboldened by the adult beverages, I walked over to the bar and introduced myself. I commented on how much I enjoyed her rendition of “O Canada.” She was very appreciative, looked me straight in the eye, but was clearly not interested — or, at least, her “entourage” was keeping me at arm’s length.
- Kenny Chesney announced fourteen stadium dates for his 2008 Poets & Pirates tour. He’ll be joined by Gary Allan and LeAnn Rimes for all of the shows with Brooks & Dunn, Sammy Hagar, Big & Rich, and Luke Bryan joining in throughout.
- Listen: “Stronger Woman” from Jewel’s upcoming album Perfectly Clear.
- If you’re a Shel Silverstein completist Peter Swanson recommends Playboy’s Silverstein Around the World, otherwise he says it feels too dashed-off and dated.
- Robert Hilburn says Time Life’s Opry Video Classics “is a marvelous look at one of America’s richest musical genres.” Highlights include a cleanshaven Willie Nelson, vintage Porter and Dolly, George Jones with Tammy Wynette and Melba Montgomery, and the soulful performances by Don Gibson despite the nervousness present in his eyes.
- It’s not exactly country music related, but Steve Martin’s autobiography/memoir, Born Standing Up: A Comic’s Life, is an excellent read. To keep it relevant, he talks about playing the banjo; his high school buddy John McCuen of Nitty Gritty Dirt Band fame; John’s older brother, Bill, who became Martin’s manager and basically envisioned the whole Will the Circle Be Unbroken project; another buddy that wanted to name his band Eagles instead of The Eagles, which Martin thought was silly; and the intimidation he felt on the few dates he had with Linda Ronstadt. He has more run-ins with country music, but those are the most memorable.
- Chris Cagle’s My Life Is a Country Song is due out February 19.
- Jim McGuire is taking his Nashville Portraits to The Art Museum of West Virginia for an exhibit that will be on display from January 18 to March 23.
- UPDATE: Natalie left a comment on the previous post pointing us toward the recorded 911 call between Steve Holy and the operator after a gun was held to the back of his head. It’s an unfortunate situation, but he’s obviously drunk which makes for some hilarious comments.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.