Sugarland Releases Live DVD; Billy Lee Riley Passed Away; Lorrie Morgan Lands Broadway Role
- Billy Lee Riley, a pioneer of Rockabilly who was overshadowed by his contemporaries — Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, etc. — at Sun Records, passed away on Sunday at 75. (MySpace)
New releases for the week of August 4, 2009 include:
Sugarland – Live On the Inside (CD/DVD)
Zac Brown Band – Live From Bonnaroo (EP)
- Lorrie Morgan landed the role of Lula for the Broadway adaptation of Pure Country. Lula is the manager for Joe Nichols‘ character.
- Brian T. Atkinson published a brief Q&A with Chris Knight about his upcoming release, Trailer Tapes II.
There are three unreleased cuts on ‘Trailer II.’ How many unheard songs are left from that era?
I’ve got a feeling there’s a lot more “Trailer Tape” stuff out there and I just don’t remember what I recorded. It seems like I had 30 or 40 songs recorded during those sessions.
- Kellie Pickler‘s next single will be “Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You.” (Amazon)
- Kristian Bush on last night’s TV special Sugarland: Live on the Inside:
“There’s something sentimental about it,” he said. “Not that long ago, before DVR and YouTube, we used to gather around and watch specials like this on television.”
- Country Universe is bringing the ’90s back with a series of essential songs from artists most closely associated with that era. The first artist featured is Joe Diffie.
- Artist rewind: Watch the video for the title track from Sara Evans‘ debut album, “Three Chords and the Truth.”
- Daily Country Haiku:
I was born to fly
Not that I have wings and such
It’s a metaphor
- Bonnie Bishop has a new album, Virginia, due out on August 11 and Music Fog posted video of “Almost Like Home,” which will be on the album, from a recent concert.
- John Gerome says Diana Jones fully embraces the traditional sounds of rural Appalachia on her most recent album, Better Times Will Come, and retraces Jones’ search for her birth family and how that led to her new sound. (MySpace)
- Watch Old Crow Medicine Show‘s performance of “Tell It To Me” from the band’s upcoming DVD release Live at the Orange Peel and Tennessee Theatre.
- One of 31 common themes in country music according to Farce the Music: “Enjoy each moment of your life…because you will die in the bridge.”
- Listen to Patty Loveless cover Harlan Howard‘s “Busted,” which will appear on her upcoming Mountain Soul II album.
- Dave D.: Sorry, "Gave Her 'Heart' to Jethro."
- Dave D.: "Pay No Attention to Alice", "Homecoming", and "She Gave Her Love to Jethro" start to scratch the surface of my …
- Erik North: "A Week In A Country Jail", hot baloney, eggs, and gravy, and all.
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …