Sugarland Releases Live DVD; Billy Lee Riley Passed Away; Lorrie Morgan Lands Broadway Role
- Billy Lee Riley, a pioneer of Rockabilly who was overshadowed by his contemporaries — Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash, etc. — at Sun Records, passed away on Sunday at 75. (MySpace)
New releases for the week of August 4, 2009 include:
Sugarland – Live On the Inside (CD/DVD)
Zac Brown Band – Live From Bonnaroo (EP)
- Lorrie Morgan landed the role of Lula for the Broadway adaptation of Pure Country. Lula is the manager for Joe Nichols‘ character.
- Brian T. Atkinson published a brief Q&A with Chris Knight about his upcoming release, Trailer Tapes II.
There are three unreleased cuts on ‘Trailer II.’ How many unheard songs are left from that era?
I’ve got a feeling there’s a lot more “Trailer Tape” stuff out there and I just don’t remember what I recorded. It seems like I had 30 or 40 songs recorded during those sessions.
- Kellie Pickler‘s next single will be “Didn’t You Know How Much I Loved You.” (Amazon)
- Kristian Bush on last night’s TV special Sugarland: Live on the Inside:
“There’s something sentimental about it,” he said. “Not that long ago, before DVR and YouTube, we used to gather around and watch specials like this on television.”
- Country Universe is bringing the ’90s back with a series of essential songs from artists most closely associated with that era. The first artist featured is Joe Diffie.
- Artist rewind: Watch the video for the title track from Sara Evans‘ debut album, “Three Chords and the Truth.”
- Daily Country Haiku:
I was born to fly
Not that I have wings and such
It’s a metaphor
- Bonnie Bishop has a new album, Virginia, due out on August 11 and Music Fog posted video of “Almost Like Home,” which will be on the album, from a recent concert.
- John Gerome says Diana Jones fully embraces the traditional sounds of rural Appalachia on her most recent album, Better Times Will Come, and retraces Jones’ search for her birth family and how that led to her new sound. (MySpace)
- Watch Old Crow Medicine Show‘s performance of “Tell It To Me” from the band’s upcoming DVD release Live at the Orange Peel and Tennessee Theatre.
- One of 31 common themes in country music according to Farce the Music: “Enjoy each moment of your life…because you will die in the bridge.”
- Listen to Patty Loveless cover Harlan Howard‘s “Busted,” which will appear on her upcoming Mountain Soul II album.
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …