Sugarland Leads CMT Music Awards; New Release List; Rhonda Vincent Bugs Out
- The final round of nominees for the 2009 CMT Music Awards has been announced and voting is open. Sugarland leads with five nominations while Brad Paisley and Taylor Swift follow with four each.
New releases for the week of May 19, 2009 include:
Ernest Tubb – The Early Years 1936-1945 (Box Set)
- If you missed the comments on yesterday’s news roundup, Jon posted a link to a great article on The New York Times website about the Time Jumpers. (via Jon)
- Darrell Scott has written a number of great songs over the years that he’s not only been fortunate enough to record, but have others record as well. In a new feature on Country Universe, Leeann Ward lists her favorite songs written by Scott and the performance that she she considers the best, whether that’s by Scott himself or artists like Tim McGraw, Travis Tritt or the Dixie Chicks.
- Juli Thanki digs Journeyman’s Wager, the new solo album from Chuck Mead.
Mead’s “worn out singer” reappears throughout Journeyman’s Wager, almost to the point of making this a concept album—luckily, Mead exercises some restraint on this front. But a must-listen is “A Long Time Ago”, which details the sacrifices made and ideals lost in search of a music career—it’s probably one of the most depressing songs to be released this year, but it’s also one of the best.
- Kenny Chesney returned to Dallas on Sunday to play a free show after his May 2 concert in the area was shortened by rain. More fans showed up the second time around and Chesney rewarded them with a longer than typical set.
- Following the second season premier of Can You Duet on June 20, CMT will debut The Singing Bee, a new karaoke-style singing competition that tests contestants’ knowledge of lyrics to well-known songs. Sixty percent of the songs will be country while the other 40 percent will consist of popular favorites from other genres.
- Montgomery Gentry is joining forces with Cracker Barrel and the Wounded Warrior Project to release a new CD, For Our Heroes, on May 25. The 12-song disc will include past favorites, one new song and four songs that previously received a limited release.
- LeAnn Rimes and her husband Dean Sheremet put their Nashville house on the market, which is totally unrelated to rumors of Rimes’ affair with her Lifetime TV-move co-star Eddie Cibrian, who she randomly ran into at a recent Los Angeles Lakers basketball game.
- Volumes 1 & 2 of Ray Charles‘ Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music will be reissued with new liners notes on June 2.
- Rhonda Vincent had a minor freak-out and ran off stage this past weekend when a bug bit her on the toe.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …