Sugarland Drops Miley For First Chart-Topper On Billboard 200
- Sugarland‘s sales saw a 45% decline, but it was still enough to take the top spot from Miley Cyrus on the Billboard 200 chart.
- Leave it to Jamey Johnson to turn the often humorous Photocrap blog serious.
- Jamey Johnson makes another appearance on Unplugged at Studio 330 next week, but for now you can go check out Taylor Swift‘s interview and song selections for her own Unplugged session.
- Country, California’s John Maglite caught a recent Dolly Parton performance at Sacramento’s ARCO Arena and shares his thoughts on the night’s proceedings.
I saw Dolly Parton live in concert last night. Well, I guess it was her. From my lower-level seat halfway between the stage and the rafters at Sacramento’s ARCO Arena, what I actually saw was a blond wig atop a tiny, expressive, top-heavy body. I never did get to see the face. Given the size of the venue, I had assumed that there would be video screens to bring the action closer to us poor saps off in the distance. Wrong. Still, to Parton’s credit, I never felt like a forgotten observer.
- Cynthia Fuchs reviewed the Johnny Cash documentary, Johnny Cash: The Man, His World, His Music, that aired on PBS last night.
- Laura Cantrell bemoans the lack of women in the Country Music Hall of Fame. She notes that of the 105 member roster, only 14 are women, and two of those weren’t even artists. She also provides an introduction to several less heralded women (Bessie Smith, Mildred Bailey, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Rose Maddox, Molly O’ Day, Jean Shepard, Skeeter Davis and Ola Belle Reed) and a link to one of their songs.
- If you enjoyed Paul W. Dennis’ “Forgotten Artist” feature on David Rogers, go check it out again. We added several tracks to the bottom that will hopefully whet your appetite and entice you to seek out more material.
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …