Sturgill Simpson Releases New Songs; Jens Kruger Wins Steve Martin Banjo Prize; New Music Videos
- There’s a new marker honoring Jimmie Rodgers in Asheville, North Carolina.
- Kellie Pickler’s next album, The Woman I Am, comes out November 12. (via press release)
- Don Schlitz, The Mavericks, and Lady Antebellum have been added to the lineup for tomorrow’s ACM Honors.
- Jens Kruger won the 2013 Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo and Bluegrass Music.
- Gord Bamford took home five Canadian Country Music Awards last night. Corb Lund won Roots Artist/Group of the Year.
- Sturgill Simpson released a couple new songs.
- Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell, JD McPherson, Holly Williams (paying tribute to her grandfather), and Old Crow Medicine Show are among the acts who’ll perform at the Americana Honors & Awards Show on September 18. Presenters include Tift Merritt, Alejandro Escovedo, and Ken Burns.
- How did St. Leonard, Maryland (Pop. 751) become a hot spot for country music concerts headlined by big-name acts?
- Austin City Limits will begin its 39th season on October 5.
- Seth James is leaving The Departed. His last show with the band will be November 23.
- Can film and television placement help “save” the music industry? (Sons of Anarchy and Hell on Wheels are two shows that play a good amount of roots music — are there any others?)
- If you missed Carrie Underwood’s Sunday Night Football debut last night, catch it here.
- Claudia Perry of The Chicago Tribune reviewed Dierks Bentley and Miranda Lambert’s Saturday night show.
- The documentary Herschel Sizemore: Mandolin in B is now available on DVD.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new edition of Quotable Country.
- Here’s a Huffington Post interview with Robbie Fulks.
- And a Baltimore Sun interview with Alan Jackson.
- Keith Urban talked with Cindy Watts (The Tennessean) about his new album, Fuse. On Friday night, Urban played a trio of Nashville clubs including Tootsie’s, where he was joined by Steven Tyler.
- Eilen Jewell, Caroline Herring, Tim O’Brien, and Dave Alvin are a few of the artists who’ll be on a Chris Smither tribute album called Link of Chain that Signature Sounds Records plans to release in 2014. (via press release)
- Sheryl Crow spoke with Peter Cooper about her move to country music.
- Amy Kurland, founder of the Bluebird Café, is being honored with the Frances Williams Preston Mentor Award at the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner and Induction Ceremony on October 13.
- Nick Rynerson looks at Gram Parsons and “Sin City” for his new “God and Country Music” column.
- New music videos:
Glen Campbell – “Hey Little One”
Semi-Twang – “Dark Out”
The Bankesters – “Time and Love”
Donna Ulisse – “This is My Father’s World”
Old Man Luedecke – “Tender is the Night”
Bourbon Boys – “Don’t Tread on Me”
Preservation Hall Jazz Band – “That’s It!”
Stevie Nicks & Lady Antebellum – “Rhiannon”
Sioux City Kid – “Wishin’ Well”
The White Buffalo – “Don’t You Want It”
Zoe Muth & The Lost High Rollers – “Country Blues” (at WAMU Bluegrass Country)
Scotty McCreery – “See You Tonight”
- Leeann Ward: Oops...the link: http://www.engine145.com/summer-lovin-ronnie-milsap-looks-back-new-album/
- Leeann Ward: Yes, great choices for inductees! In Milsap's case, I guess if you say it to Juli Thanki, it will happen!:): Do …
- Paul W Dennis: Delighted to see "The Voice With A Heart" being inducted - he is my all-time favorite bluegrass vocalist. Hank Cochran …
- luckyoldsun: I don't know what exactly makes one a national treasure, but I'd give that appellation to Mac Wiseman before the …
- Barry Mazor: Why exactly would it be "weird" to induct an earlier deserving veteran before a later one? (Some people are …
- sheldon: You beat me to the punch, mrsandydog. No Dottie for another year. Dolly is a national treasure, btw.
- nm: I live in hope that next year will be Tanya Tucker's year. But the way the HoF voters snub feisty …
- Mark Pope: I am surprised that Mac Wiseman would have beaten out Ralph Stanley as a bluegrass representative. I recognize that …
- luckyoldsun: I swung and missed on Skaggs for this year! Milsap is definitely deserving--and has been waiting longer than Skaggs. Well, …
- Barry Mazor: Mac was also heavily involved in mainstream country music, had hits on the charts, and was Nashville A&R head …