Study Finds ‘Countryphiles’ Shy Away From Digital Downloads
A few interesting notes from a study of country music listeners by the Country Music Association:
- Roughly two in five American adults ages 18-54 qualify as country music fans.
- They’re predominantly Caucasian, more often female than male.
- Forty percent of them make more than $50,000 year.
- Roughly 5 percent of American adults aged 18-54 qualify as “countryphiles,” and they’re not big fans of digital downloads.
- Barbara Mandrell‘s father and longtime manager, Irby Mandell, passed away on Thursday. He was 84.
- Chet Flippo writes an obituary for CDs in his latest Nashville Skyline column
- Country California’s C.M Wilcox was struck by Horseshoes and Hand Grenades — the 2006 album from Trent Summar & The New Row Mob. Wilcox notes that the album consists of a winning combination of radio-ready tunes, cornpone tracks that fall on the fun side of novelty and a manic, yet brilliant, cover of George Jone‘s “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
- Clay Walker has played RodeoHouston every year since 1994 and this year was no different. Despite the frequent exposure, Joey Guerra says the show is never less than engaging.
- Watch some footage from Jamey Johnson‘s free concert at CRS on March 4th. On a related note, did anyone catch the live webcast last night? UPDATE: Zach has a recap in the comments.
- Darryl Worley‘s sixth release and debut album for Stroudavarious Records, titled Sounds Like Life, is scheduled to be released June 9.
- The on-again, off-again rumors that Jewel was being replaced on Dancing With the Stars is now officially confirmed. She’ll be replaced by Holly Madison, from E!’s reality series Girls Next Door, after suffering fractured tibiae in both legs. (via NashvilleGab)
- Tim McGraw previewed songs from his new album at CRS and took a few verbal jabs at his record label, Curb Records.
- Nashville At Nite posted extra footage from an interview with Billy Currington at the No. 1 party for his song “Don’t.”
- Chet Atkins is among a list of 10 all-time great session guitarists put together by Russell Hall on the Gibson website. (via email from That Nashville Sound)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.