Study Finds ‘Countryphiles’ Shy Away From Digital Downloads
A few interesting notes from a study of country music listeners by the Country Music Association:
- Roughly two in five American adults ages 18-54 qualify as country music fans.
- They’re predominantly Caucasian, more often female than male.
- Forty percent of them make more than $50,000 year.
- Roughly 5 percent of American adults aged 18-54 qualify as “countryphiles,” and they’re not big fans of digital downloads.
- Barbara Mandrell‘s father and longtime manager, Irby Mandell, passed away on Thursday. He was 84.
- Chet Flippo writes an obituary for CDs in his latest Nashville Skyline column
- Country California’s C.M Wilcox was struck by Horseshoes and Hand Grenades — the 2006 album from Trent Summar & The New Row Mob. Wilcox notes that the album consists of a winning combination of radio-ready tunes, cornpone tracks that fall on the fun side of novelty and a manic, yet brilliant, cover of George Jone‘s “He Stopped Loving Her Today.”
- Clay Walker has played RodeoHouston every year since 1994 and this year was no different. Despite the frequent exposure, Joey Guerra says the show is never less than engaging.
- Watch some footage from Jamey Johnson‘s free concert at CRS on March 4th. On a related note, did anyone catch the live webcast last night? UPDATE: Zach has a recap in the comments.
- Darryl Worley‘s sixth release and debut album for Stroudavarious Records, titled Sounds Like Life, is scheduled to be released June 9.
- The on-again, off-again rumors that Jewel was being replaced on Dancing With the Stars is now officially confirmed. She’ll be replaced by Holly Madison, from E!’s reality series Girls Next Door, after suffering fractured tibiae in both legs. (via NashvilleGab)
- Tim McGraw previewed songs from his new album at CRS and took a few verbal jabs at his record label, Curb Records.
- Nashville At Nite posted extra footage from an interview with Billy Currington at the No. 1 party for his song “Don’t.”
- Chet Atkins is among a list of 10 all-time great session guitarists put together by Russell Hall on the Gibson website. (via email from That Nashville Sound)
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.
- luckyoldsun: I seem to recall hearing a recording of the Christmas song "Walking in the Winter Wonderland" where the line "In …
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …