Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
- Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here.
- Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance.
- Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge.
- Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver, Seth Avett, and Dierks Bentley, will be released April 1.
- Jim VanCleve is set to return home from the hospital; he was admitted on Friday due to complications from Dengue Fever, which he contracted earlier this month.
- Listen to Barry Mazor read from his book, Meeting Jimmie Rodgers, and Paul Burch’s perform some of the Singing Brakeman’s songs.
- From UrbanCountryNews.com: “Why Country Music is Like the Zombie Apocalypse.”
- Stream John Denver tribute record, The Music is You (out 4/2), featuring Lucinda Williams, Kathleen Edwards, Old Crow Medicine Show, Mary Chapin Carpenter, and more, on NPR’s music blog.
- Emmylou Harris was interviewed by the New York Times’ Joan Anderman.
- Billboard’s The 615 blog premiered Amy Speace’s “The Fortunate Ones,” a collaboration with Mary Gauthier from Speace’s forthcoming record, How to Sleep in a Stormy Boat (release date: 4/16).
- Dwight Yoakam’s “A Thousand Miles from Nowhere” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week.
- CMT Edge premiered Trapper Schoepp & The Shades’ new video for their song, “Tracks.”
- Jana Kramer unveiled a new song, “Darlin’,” at a recent performance.
- Don Rigsby’s excellent Ralph Stanley tribute record, Doctor’s Orders, will be released May 21.
- Here’s a video of the Milk Carton Kids playing “Hope of a Lifetime” at Folk Alliance.
- George Strait and Trace Adkins will release their next albums on May 14.
- “Can country music blossom overseas?”
- The 615 premiered the video for Sons of Fathers’ “Roots and Vine.”
- The 615’s Chuck Dauphin wrote an article on Blake Shelton, whose new record comes out today.
- Lindsay Lou of Lindsay Lou & The Flatbellys and husband Joshua Rilko were on Michigan public radio recently.
- Richard Thompson of Bluegrass Today reviewed the book Lonesome Melodies: The Lives and Music of the Stanley Brothers.
- Concord Music Group will be acquired by Wood Creek Capital Management. The terms have not been disclosed, but sources say that the deal is in the $115-125 million range.
- Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article is about the McCrary Sisters.
- UNC’s Southern Folklife Collection blog posted a cut from Herb Remington’s Pure Remington Steel LP.
- Give a listen to Courtney Jaye’s “One Way Conversation.”
- Jim Myers wrote a lengthy feature on Kacey Musgraves for the Tennessean.
- Kellie Pickler is a fantastic dancer.
- Wynonna…tries really hard.
- Album releases:
Alan Jackson – Precious Memories: Volume II
Gibson Brothers – They Called It Music
Thompson Square – Just Feels Good
Black Lillies – Runaway Freeway Blues
Semi-Twang – The Why and the What For
Michael English – Some People Change
Crystal Bowersox – All That for This
Steve Forbert – Alive on Arrival/Jackrabbit Slim
Lizanne Knott – Standing in the English Rain
Marty Raybon & Full Circle – The Back Forty
Blake Shelton – Based on a True Story…
The Waterboys – An Appointment with Mr. Yeats
Maggie Rose – Cut to Impress
Gene Clark – Here Tonight: The White Light Demos
Joe Bonamassa – An Acoustic Evening at the Vienna Opera House
Various Artists – Unsung Hero: A Tribute to the Music of Ron Davies
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …