Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama, JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers Records; WAMU Broadcasts Live from IBMA; Album Releases
- Buck Moore (“Paint Me a Birmingham”), musician DeFord Bailey Jr., and steel guitarist/songwriter Bill West all passed away recently.
- Barry Mazor wrote about Alan Jackson’s The Bluegrass Album for The Wall Street Journal.
- Dailey & Vincent taped a live performance of “Steel Drivin’ Man” for CMT Edge.
- American Songwriter premiered Tim Easton’s video for “They Will Bury You.”
- Rayland Baxter is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week.
- Peter Cooper wrote about Steep Canyon Rangers in his new Tennessean column.
- Jessica Bliss of The Tennessean takes a look at hick-hop.
- A Heidi Feek sampler is available for download on NoiseTrade.
- C.M Wilcox blesses and blames another group of people.
- Deborah Allen Price of CMT.com picks out 10 Alabama prime hits.
- Brian T. Atkinson reviewed Lucinda Williams’ Americana Fest show, which celebrated the 25th anniversary of her self-titled album.
- Ash Breeze has signed with Mountain Fever Records. The group (formerly known as The Smith Family) will release a new project later this year.
- The New York Times published Marvin Rainwater’s obituary.
- If you’ve got $17,000 laying around, one of the only known existing copies of Tommy Johnson’s “Alcohol and Jake Blues”/“Ridin’ Horse” 78 is up for auction.
- If you’re not at IBMA’s World of Bluegrass festivities in Raleigh, our friends at WAMU Bluegrass Country are broadcasting there all week long, airing live performances from acts like The Gibson Brothers, Special Consensus and Lonesome River Band. Check out the schedule and listen online. If you’re near Raleigh this week, check out the statue of Sir Walter Raleigh, who we hear is holding a banjo for the next few days.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Jim Fusilli recaps “The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly” of this year’s Americana Fest.
- Val Haller of The New York Times takes a look at three different versions of “Folsom Prison Blues.”
- Nate Rau (The Tennessean) goes into the studio with radio host Bobby Bones. (warning: autoplay)
- Is Clear Channel going to stage a country music festival in Austin next spring? Probably.
- Kacey Musgraves will play at pop star Katy Perry’s benefit concert at the Hollywood Bowl October 23. Proceeds will go to the Young Survival Coalition, which is an organization dedicated to young women who’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- This week’s album releases (thanks for purchasing your music through our affiliate links, which allows us to keep the lights on):
Alan Jackson – The Bluegrass Album
Sarah Jarosz – Build Me Up from Bones
Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay – Before the World Was Made
The Bankesters – Love Has Wheels
Noam Pikelny – Noam Pikelny Plays Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe
Ernie Hendrickson – One for the Dreamers
Owen Temple – Stories They Tell
Neal McCoy – PRIDE: A Tribute to Charley Pride
Allen Toussaint – Songbook
Sioux City Kid – Minutes, Miles, Troubles and Trials
TJ Broscoff – The Break
JD Wilkes & The Dirt Daubers – Wild Moon
Amy Allen – Someday is Today
David Bromberg Band – Only Slightly Mad
Declan O’Rourke – Mag Pai Zai
Patty Larkin – Still Green
Various Artists – Caffe Lena: Music from America’s Legendary Coffeehouse 1967-2013
Various Artists – Country Fried Rock, Vol. 2: For Nuci’s Space
- luckyoldsun: And sometimes she breaks into "I Fought the Law and the Law Won."
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …