Stream Glen Campbell’s See You There; Country Dance Remixes Soar in Popularity; New Album Releases
- Download a version of “Rambling Hobo” recorded by Doc Watson in 1976. (The song can be found on new Folkways compilation, Classic Banjo.)
- Peter Cooper’s new Tennessean article: “How a Happy Accident Revolutionized Guitar Sound.”
- There’s a New York Times article on Mark Seliger, a photographer—he’s shot everyone from the Dalai Lama to JayZ—who moonlights as the frontman of country band Rusty Truck.
- Take a sneak peek at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum’s new Reba exhibit.
- Keith Urban will play a free concert on a stage afloat in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor before the Ravens-Broncos game September 5.
- Check out the new video for Valerie June’s “You Can’t Be Told.”
- The Defibulators’ “Get Yer Papers” premiered on CMT Edge.
- Charlie Faye is American Songwriter’s newest Writer of the Week; A.S. is also streaming Faye’s album.
- Get the story behind Leslie Satcher and Monty Holmes’ “Troubadour,” recorded by George Strait.
- Stream Glen Campbell’s See You There before its August 13 release date.
- What do you think of Alabama’s new song, “All American”?
- Claudia Perry of the Chicago Tribune reviewed Blake Shelton’s Saturday night show.
- Paste caught up with Eric Church for an interview at Lollapalooza.
- Emily Yahr of The Washington Post writes about country music’s incorporation of electronic dance music: “While pop versions of country songs have been around for years, producers say that blending elements together for a remix presents a different challenge. It’s about adding more accelerated dance beats, drums, maybe keyboard and electronic sounds — every process is different, and sometimes it’s critical to keep the original guitar track and melody to maintain the country root of the song. The dance mix concept is expanding from country nightclubs to bigger concerts. These days, the Rascal Flatts tour features a group called the ‘Dance Y’All’ country crew consisting of dancers who get down to amped-up songs between acts; Miranda Lambert enlists a trio, Jukebox Mafia, to entertain the crowd with beatboxed remixes of country hits before she goes on stage.” In a different corner of the internet, there’s streaming audio of Swedish DJ Avicii’s “Hey Brother,” featuring Dan Tyminski.
- Tom Petty isn’t a fan of modern country,though he also admits he “[doesn’t] really know much about it.” Read the Rolling Stone interview that kicked up a fair amount of discussion last night on social media and Saving Country Music.
- Stream Amos Lee’s new single, “The Man Who Wants You.”
- Former pro football player Kyle Turley’s got an eponymous country-rock band.
- This week’s album releases (as always, thanks for purchasing through our affiliate links — it doesn’t cost you extra, but helps us keep the lights on):
Cale Tyson – High on Lonesome (EP)
Amanda Shires – Down Fell the Doves
Sara Petite – Circus Comes to Town
Clint Black – When I Said I Do
Two Tons of Steel – Unraveled
The Civil Wars – The Civil Wars
Sarah Lee Guthrie & Johnny Irion – Wassaic Way
Brett Eldredge – Bring You Back
Elvis Presley – Elvis at Stax: 40th Anniversary
Chris Thile – Bach: Sonatas and Partitas, Vol. 1
Various Artists – Classic Banjo from Smithsonian Folkways
Various Artists – I Got a Woman: Gems from the Decca Vaults
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.