Stream an Exclusive Track from Upcoming Earl Scruggs Tribute Foggy Mountain Special
Few artists have changed the landscape of music like Earl Scruggs, whose three-fingered banjo technique has become an integral element of bluegrass. In a few weeks, an album featuring just a few of the myriad musicians he influenced will finally see the light of day.
In the works since 2006, Foggy Mountain Special: A Bluegrass Tribute to Earl Scruggs will be released June 5 on Rounder Records. Some of bluegrass music’s most masterful banjo players – J.D. Crowe, Tony Trischka, Charlie Cushman, Jim Mills, and several others – can be found on the project, which was finally finished this winter. It’s a celebration of Scruggs’ sound as well as a fine memorial in wake of his passing.
“Foggy Mountain Special,” the third track on the album, was recorded back in 2008 and features Ron Block on banjo, Dan Tyminski, Adam Steffey, Ron Stewart, and Barry Bales. We’ve got an exclusive stream of the song below; give a listen and let us know what you think.
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!
- bob: Good day with news of PrizeFighter Trisha and Drunken Martina.
- John Fuller: Oh yeah!! Crispy sweet!
- Rick Mifflin: Sublime
- Leeann: Very nice!
- luckyoldsun: Paul, Good info. It's pretty disgraceful that Billboard editors can't even get musical history remotely right regarding even their own publication. The …
- Juli Thanki: Yep, I'll be there. Looking forward to it!
- Leeann: Wow! The Look Again to the Wind: Johnny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited album is so good!
- Jack Williams: I was also there on Saturday, Juli. I really liked Angeleena Presley's set, too. Marty and the boys …
- Jack Williams: I heard the guy who made the documentary talks funny. That's great news. I'll definitely buy a copy …