Strait’s Songs Becoming Caricature And Jason Aldean Films Johnny Cash Video
- There are some country executives in Nashville who aren’t happy with the way the Grammys unfolded. They feel snubbed since Carrie Underwood and Rascal Flatts couldn’t perform their own songs and say that this isn’t the only year that country music has been discriminated against, but years past as well, and all the pent up frustration has finally got them to start speaking out.
“I don’t like to be disrespected for our art,” Galante said. “All I hear is this pious stuff: ‘We’re not commercial. We don’t worry about sales.’ Fine. Recognize the art. Don’t make us sing someone else’s art. No one here in any category is good enough to sing our own material? You are telling me that in a 3½-hour show that you couldn’t find seven minutes for anybody in this town to sing two songs?”
- Ramiro Burr reports that Montgomery Gentry ended the San Antonio Rodeo with a bang.
- An all star lineup that was scheduled to include Lyle Lovett, John Hiatt, Joe Ely and Guy Clark came up one short at the Manship Theater in Louisiana last Thursday night. The flu caused Guy Clark to pull out of the performance, but John Wirt says it was still a special night.
Frequently singing passionate, even primal material, Hiatt and Ely were by far the most demonstrative and aggressive of the trio. Lovett leaned to the quiet side, singing introspective, nostalgic songs as well as material featuring his unusually clever, wry lyrics.
- Mark Guarino from the Daily Herald wrote a concert review about George Strait and questions whether he should change his musical style. A few quotes:
Yet there were times when that familiarity, stretched to a nearly two-hour limit, began thinning. Despite his everyman swagger, a change would do Strait a world of good.
Aside from that, how many songs about cowboys missing his Texas home can one man sing before it becomes caricature? These songs stuck to the same palette until they became indistinguishable. He — and particularly his band — only flickered to life on the more challenging material, whipping the antiquated blues standard “Milk Cow Blues” into a dazzling group interaction or using the western swing of “Take Me Back To Tulsa” to get couples dancing in the aisles.
I personally like Strait’s style and wouldn’t want him to change, he’s obviously found a formula for success (hello, fifty-four number ones) and should stick with what works for him.
- Daryle Singletary’s new album, Straight From The Heart, is due out next week and About.com already has a nice review, giving it four and a half stars. I didn’t realize it was going to have so many covers, but it should be interesting to see how he interprets them. I also noticed that he’ll be coming out with a live CD tomorrow.
- Remember that new Jason Aldean single, Johnny Cash, that’s getting a lot of press lately? All About Country says that the video for the single was shot in Las Vegas over the weekend (one of the more exciting NBA All-Star games took place in Vegas this weekend as well, just sayin’). Aldean almost lost all the work he’s done on his new album when the studio he was recording in burned to the ground. His producer said had the fire spread four more feet everything would have been gone. We’ve linked to it before, but in case you missed it Country Universe has a review of the single.
- I guess being photographed with model Marissa Miller for the 2007 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition will help convince some of the skeptics that Kenny Chesney isn’t gay.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.