Steve Moore Resigns as CMA CEO; Alejandro Escovedo, Langhorne Slim Premiere New Videos; Album Releases
- Steve Moore resigned as CMA CEO.
- Brenda Lee talks about being sampled by Kanye West and her days as spelling bee champ in this interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne.
- Ashley Monroe played “Hickory Wind” for American Songwriter. Watch here.
- Danny Wells shares the story behind “Check Yes or No,” the George Strait hit Wells co-wrote with Dana Hunt Black.
- Since this week marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, Bluegrass Today’s Richard Thompson takes a look at the story-song “Three Days in July,” the Mark Simos/Jon Weisberger song recorded by The Infamous Stringdusters.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Paste posted video of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of “It’s a Sin,” which was recorded for the recently released tribute album You Don’t Know Me: Rediscovering Eddy Arnold.
- There’s a Guy Clark sampler available for free download on NoiseTrade.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog posted Langhorne Slim’s new music video.
- The Stratocaster Bob Dylan played at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival is heading to auction.
- Blair Garner is one of this year’s six inductees into the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- Stephen Deusner interviewed Crystal Bowersox, who’ll be playing Patsy Cline on Broadway later this year.
- The Avett Brothers are working on a new album that they hope to release in the fall.
- CMT Edge posted Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants’ version of “Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young” from their forthcoming album, All Hat and No Cattle, due out at the end of the month.
- Drew Kennedy’s next album, Wide Listener, will be released on September 10. He posted the album art and track listing on his website.
- Paste posted a new Rayland Baxter song.
- Blue Ridge Outdoor Magazine’s free July Trail Mix includes songs by Westbound Rangers, The Deadly Gentlemen, Mustered Courage, and Bhi Bhiman.
- Brian T. Atkinson of CMT Edge interviewed ex-Belleville Outfit member Phoebe Hunt about her new solo album, Live at the Cactus Cafe.
- On August 18, Richie Havens’ ashes will be scattered at Yasgur’s farm, which is now the site of The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. The venue will honor Havens with a “day of song and remembrance.”
- Chuck Dauphin wrote a feature on Travis Tritt for The 615.
- The HillBenders pick a few favorite tunes for a Bluegrass Situation mixtape.
- The Coen Brothers released a new trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis.
- Stream Jonny Fritz and John McCauley’s soundtrack to Oxyana, a documentary about prescription drug abuse in Appalachia.
- On July 30, Rounder Records will reissue George Thorogood & The Destroyers’ 1977 self-titled album as well as Move It on Over, which was released the following year.
- This week’s album releases:
Brandy Clark – Brandy Clark (out July 4)
Two Tons of Steel – Unraveled
The Henningsens – American Beautiful
Michael Martin Murphy – Red River Drifter
Lucky Tubb & The Modern Day Troubadours – Hillbilly Fever
The Browns – Complete Pop and Country Hits
Jackson & Emmons – The Steel Guitar & Dobro Sounds of Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmons
Various Artists – The Lone Ranger: Wanted (Music Inspired by the Film)
Various Artists – American Folk
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.