Steve Moore Resigns as CMA CEO; Alejandro Escovedo, Langhorne Slim Premiere New Videos; Album Releases
- Steve Moore resigned as CMA CEO.
- Brenda Lee talks about being sampled by Kanye West and her days as spelling bee champ in this interview with CMT’s Craig Shelburne.
- Ashley Monroe played “Hickory Wind” for American Songwriter. Watch here.
- Danny Wells shares the story behind “Check Yes or No,” the George Strait hit Wells co-wrote with Dana Hunt Black.
- Since this week marks the 150th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, Bluegrass Today’s Richard Thompson takes a look at the story-song “Three Days in July,” the Mark Simos/Jon Weisberger song recorded by The Infamous Stringdusters.
- C.M. Wilcox posted a new Quotable Country.
- Paste posted video of Alejandro Escovedo’s version of “It’s a Sin,” which was recorded for the recently released tribute album You Don’t Know Me: Rediscovering Eddy Arnold.
- There’s a Guy Clark sampler available for free download on NoiseTrade.
- The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog posted Langhorne Slim’s new music video.
- The Stratocaster Bob Dylan played at the 1965 Newport Folk Festival is heading to auction.
- Blair Garner is one of this year’s six inductees into the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- Stephen Deusner interviewed Crystal Bowersox, who’ll be playing Patsy Cline on Broadway later this year.
- The Avett Brothers are working on a new album that they hope to release in the fall.
- CMT Edge posted Chris Shiflett & The Dead Peasants’ version of “Live Fast, Love Hard, Die Young” from their forthcoming album, All Hat and No Cattle, due out at the end of the month.
- Drew Kennedy’s next album, Wide Listener, will be released on September 10. He posted the album art and track listing on his website.
- Paste posted a new Rayland Baxter song.
- Blue Ridge Outdoor Magazine’s free July Trail Mix includes songs by Westbound Rangers, The Deadly Gentlemen, Mustered Courage, and Bhi Bhiman.
- Brian T. Atkinson of CMT Edge interviewed ex-Belleville Outfit member Phoebe Hunt about her new solo album, Live at the Cactus Cafe.
- On August 18, Richie Havens’ ashes will be scattered at Yasgur’s farm, which is now the site of The Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. The venue will honor Havens with a “day of song and remembrance.”
- Chuck Dauphin wrote a feature on Travis Tritt for The 615.
- The HillBenders pick a few favorite tunes for a Bluegrass Situation mixtape.
- The Coen Brothers released a new trailer for Inside Llewyn Davis.
- Stream Jonny Fritz and John McCauley’s soundtrack to Oxyana, a documentary about prescription drug abuse in Appalachia.
- On July 30, Rounder Records will reissue George Thorogood & The Destroyers’ 1977 self-titled album as well as Move It on Over, which was released the following year.
- This week’s album releases:
Brandy Clark – Brandy Clark (out July 4)
Two Tons of Steel – Unraveled
The Henningsens – American Beautiful
Michael Martin Murphy – Red River Drifter
Lucky Tubb & The Modern Day Troubadours – Hillbilly Fever
The Browns – Complete Pop and Country Hits
Jackson & Emmons – The Steel Guitar & Dobro Sounds of Shot Jackson and Buddy Emmons
Various Artists – The Lone Ranger: Wanted (Music Inspired by the Film)
Various Artists – American Folk
- Luckyoldsun: I just googled his web-site and Bennett has more than a dozen concerts listed over the next few months--in California, …
- Luckyoldsun: Ray was born in January 1926. As far as I figure, he and Tony Bennett--born in August 1926--were the oldest …
- Juli Thanki: That's my bad -- I didn't add "by the same host." Fixed now. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/1/longest-running-weekly-radio-programme-same-host
- mrsandydog: "Last Saturday, 93-year old Oscar Brand broadcast his 68th anniversary show on WNYC-AM. Brand’s “Folksong Festival” is the longest continually …
- Paul W Dennis: John Williamson is correct - the Australians run a real risk of losing what is authentic about their music if …
- Paul W Dennis: As a pure vocalist, Ray Price set the standard for country singers. I saw him a few years ago when …
- Meghan's Megafans: Love love love love Meghan Linsey's "Counting Stars" She is coming out with her own album and it's going to …
- bob: @Arlene. Hal Ketchum's album "One More Midnight" was released in the UK in 2007 and was never released in the …
- Arlene: @Both Kinds of Music- I'm surprised it's happening to an artist with as large a fan base as Dolly's but I'm …
- Both Kinds of Music: Can someone explain why, in this age of instantaneous, Dolly is releasing an album in Australia in January, but waiting …