Steve Martin Recruits Dixie Chicks; Julianne Hough Sheds Clothes For New Video; Best Live Albums Continued
- In an interview with Gary Graff for The Malcomb Daily, Ronnie Dunn shoulders the blame for the split between himself an Kix Brooks.
Dunn, in fact, has said he’s responsible for the ultimate decision to split, saying he quit the group over disagreements he and Brooks were having over what songs to include on their next studio album — which, of course, was never made and became the “#1’s … and Then Some” collection.
As for future plans, Dunn is already working on an album he plans to release next year. (via Quotable Country)
- Songwriter Margaret Ann Rich, widow of Charlie Rich, passed away on Thursday at the age of 76 following a struggle with Alzheimer’s disease.
- Julianne Hough‘s new video, for the song “Is That So Wrong,” makes her clothes fall off. (via That Nashville Sound)
- Fortunately Randy Rogers keeps his clothes on in his new video for the song “Interstate.”
- The New Yorker‘s Kelefa Sanneh discusses touring with Brad Paisley, his songwriting genius, and how he tests the boundaries of country music in a recent podcast.
- Spinner’s Annie Reuter reviewed Ryan Bingham‘s hour-long set in New York last week where he previewed music from his upcoming album, Junky Star.
- Bob Kingsley represents country music’s sole nominee in the national/active category for this year’s induction into the National Radio Hall of Fame.
- Music Mix’s Whitney Pastorek has a brief Q&A with Jennifer Nettles on the topic of the new Sugarland single, “Stuck Like Glue,” and it’s upcoming video and guest star.
- The Tennessean readers recently voted the Ryman Auditorium best music venue in the 2010 Toast of Music City poll. The Grand Ole Opry House came in at number three.
- C. Eric Banister previewed things to come on his previously defunct blog, Music Tomes.
- Watch Chris Young‘s video for his song “Voices” on CMT.
- Craig Shelburne urges readers to learn more about Griffin House.
- For a limited time only, buy all six Kevin Fowler albums for $45. That comes out to $7.50 apiece.
- Farce the Music graphed the most frequently lost items in country songs by era.
- Steve Martin enlisted the help of the Dixie Chicks for a track on the followup to his 2009 album, The Crow: New Songs For the 5-String Banjo.
- Ray Price on his decision to take a musical detour in the ’60s:
Price said that his relationship with country music “got real nasty” when he found success recording pop songs.
He recalled, “I said I was sorry they were upset but, if they didn’t like it, they could kiss my exposed rear end. I’d taken a lot of crap. They tried to tell me I had left country music, which was a lie. “They were just upset because I left Nashville.”
- Listen to several songs from the new Jimmy Webb record, Just Across The River, on NPR.
- Country California concluded its list of the 20 best country live albums of all time. Can you guess the top album before clicking through (hint: it’s not Cash)?
- The Selvedge Yard shared numerous black and white pictures from the Henry Horenstein book Honky Tonk: Portraits of Country Music 1972-1981, including those of a young Dolly Parton, Ralph Stanley, Ernest Tubb, and Waylon Jennings.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.