Steve Holy Held At Gunpoint After Late Night Game of Foosball
- Inviting strangers over to play foosball in your garage after a night of drinking can be very dangerous, even if said strangers are off-duty police officers. Just ask Steve Holy, who had a gun held to the back of his head. The situation escalated when Holy failed to provide sufficient evidence about his identity to one of the officers. The predicament has not been resolved, but the two accused officers have been placed on administrative leave.
- Country Universe posted part one and part two of a series that will run through Saturday titled “The Fifty Best Debut Singles of All-Time.” The title is self-explanatory, and it’s some fantastic stuff.
- Houston Press assistant music editor Chris Gray gives a nod to Lyle Lovett, Miranda Lambert, Billy Joe Shaver and Jesse Dayton & Brennen Leigh as artists who had outstanding Texas albums last year. And, if you like those he adds on some others that you should check out: Gene Watson, George Strait, Last of the Breed, Johnny Bush and Asleep at the Wheel. All outstanding albums, indeed.
- Jenifer Nettles says that when she sat down to write “Stay” four years ago the song pretty much wrote itself. When it came time to record the video Nettles became “overwhelmingly emotional,” to the point everyone had to be sent out of the room. She even cried on the next three takes.
- Tonight is the premier of Donald Trump’s Celebrity Apprentice featuring Trace Adkins and Joe Don Rooney’s (Rascal Flatts) wife, Tiffany Fallon–a celebrity in her own right. Fallon revealed that she is 2 1/2 months pregnant and will be on the February cover of Playboy magazine. Fallon says of Adkins:
“It was almost like family was there, and someone who was on my same page,” said Fallon, an actress and television show host. “At one time I remember him saying, ‘I don’t belong here.’ I said, ‘Even more reason for you to be here. We’ve got to stick together.’
“At some points I really felt like, ‘Thank God Trace is here.’ He was such a hard worker and a kind spirit, but a very, very smart man.
“I think Tennessee and the country music world will be very proud of him.”
- Angela Hacker’s “Do Right Woman”, Marty Stuart & His Fabulous Superlatives’ “Stayin’ Alive” and Shooter Jennings’ note-perfect Dire Straits cover of “Walk of Life” earned spots in Living In Stereo‘s “The Top 20 Singles of 2007.”
- The Gobblers Knob author Kelly broke down and bought his first Gary Allan album, Living Hard. Despite his knowledge that it was softer around the edges than previous efforts, Kelly says it’s the very reason he likes the album so much. Let’s just hope he doesn’t spring for Rascal Flatts next and reveal his affinity for sleeping with teddy bears. In all seriousness though, he provides a fresh perspective to a record that has grown on me since my first listen. On a related note, Allan’s Greatest Hits album has been certified gold.
- For her 18th birthday Taylor Swift’s label (Big Machine Records) gave her a pink Chevy truck, and for the remainder of the day you can catch a glimpse of the truck on display at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum.
- On the subject of country music abroad, European radio personality Dirk Rohrbach says the the term “country” in “country music” has been replaced with “highway rock n’ roll” to avoid old stereotypes and connotations while Australian TV programmer Tim Daley says:
“It’s really important, talking about Country Music internationally, to focus on a mainstream audience,” Daley pointed out. “You don’t go after Country fans. There aren’t enough of them. You don’t have the NASCAR crowd. You want to be on the biggest TV shows. You want to do the promos. You want to do in-stores at the best record stores. You have to approach it like it’s mainstream. You don’t go in looking for a sliver of the audience. You want to cast as wide a net as you possibly can.”
- The Lost Highway has a fine list of “The Best Country Songs of 2007.” Summaries come included.
- Brooks & Dunn share with Craig Shelburne how they stay fit while on the road.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.