Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Inducts Barbara Mandrell; Willie Nelson Bluegrass; Ricky Skaggs Stream
- Barbara Mandrell has become the first woman inducted into the Steel Guitar Hall of Fame.
- Country California fake news:
Between canceled shows and a CMA Entertainer of the Year snub, fans of pop-country duo Sugarland have had a rough go of it in recent months. Sadly, there’s more bad news on the way: doctors have ordered Kristian Bush on vocal rest, forcing the duo to cancel none of its upcoming concert appearances.
- Taking a cue from Hank Williams, who married his second wife onstage, Lucinda Williams will marry her manager Tom Overby onstage during her Sept. 18 concert in Minneapolis.
- Willie Nelson has plans to work with T Bone Burnette on his first bluegrass album.
- My Kind of Country is giving away a copy of George Strait‘s 50 Numbers Ones.
- Tom Russell stands behind his new record, Blood and Candle Smoke.
If you don’t think the record is 100% there for you or honest or “good,” or if there’s any false passion or bad lines, then bring it to a gig and I’ll trade you two different cds back for it. Or give you 20 bucks. That’s what I can guarantee you within the so-called music culture of today. It’s all I have at present. I believe in this record, and I don’t believe in much else.
- Country Universe: What music has been successfully filtered to you from your parents?
- Model Scheana Marie Jancan doesn’t let the fact that Eddie Cibrian was married to another woman stop her from accusing him of cheating on her with LeAnn Rimes.
- Listen to “Great Divide,” the new single from Josh Grider‘s forthcoming album Sweet Road To Ride, which is one of Shayne Hollinger’s top tracks for the month of September.
- Taylor Swift feeds on pressure and is motivated by naysayers.
- She’s also re-releasing Fearless on Oct. 27 with six new songs and a DVD that includes photos, tour footage, and her music videos.
- Snag a copy of Robert Earl Keen‘s new single, “The Rose Hotel,” in exchange for your name and email address.
- Ninebullets.net says you should steer clear of Yonder Mountain String Band‘s tenth album, The Show.
- Despite suffering a stroke over the weekend, Garrison Keillor, author and host of the radio show “A Prairie Home Companion,” plans to resume a normal schedule next week.
- Kelly Manix is giving away a free download of “Don’t Cry Yourself To Sleep” from her recent album Emerald City.
- The Houston Chronicle‘s Andrew Dansby celebrates Brad Paisley‘s ordinariness.
- Ricky Skaggs is streaming his new record, Ricky Skaggs Solo (Songs My Dad Loved), in full on iLike until its release next week.
- P.S. I saw Randy Rogers in Subway yesterday.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …