Sound Off On Carrie Underwood’s New Video For “Just A Dream”
- Watch the new video for Carrie Underwood‘s “Just A Dream,” and then go voice your opinion in the forums.
- The proceedings for a lawsuit filed against Tim McGraw over a year ago were moved to Nashville last week. James Martinez filed the lawsuit in Texas, claiming McGraw copied his hit “Everywhere” from Martinez’s own song “Anytime, Anywhere Amanda,” but McGraw’s lawyers told TMZ that Martinez’s claims are “totally without merit.”
- Congratulations are in order for Lois Lewis–known to The 9513 readers by her screen name “Double-L.” Lois has been named Music Director at Kiim-FM 99.5 in Tucson. (via All Access)
- Brooks & Dunn were immortalized on the Hollywood Walk of Fame yesterday.
- Dan Evans, a contestant on the fifth season of The Biggest Loser, will release a new country album on September 30th.
- Also on Sept. 30th, Starbucks’ Hear Music label plans to release a new James Taylor covers album aptly titled Covers. Among the songs are George Jones’ “Why Baby Why,” John Anderson’s “Seminole Wind,” Glen Campbell’s “Wichita Lineman” and the Dixie Chicks’ “Some Days You Gotta Dance.”
- David Cantwell writes that Johnny Cash‘s hit “There You Go” has always been one of his favorites, but these days it hardly gets the same attention as other early Cash hits despite being a fairly important record for him at the time.
It’s also a reminder of how mainstream country has abandoned most of its interest in life’s dark and stormy side, how it’s jettisoned unhappy endings altogether, in favor of songs that incessantly preach carpe diem and (mostly) unearned uplift.
- Roughstock’s Matt Bjorke posted an exclusive interview with Jeff Bates. He talks about being compared to Conway Twitty, the state of country music and the internet’s role in the modern music industry.
- The new video for Kenny Chesney‘s “Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven” was filmed on the island of Jamaica and will feature Bob Marley’s band The Wailers. Talk about perpetuating the stereotype.
- Michael Corcoran stirs the pot by claiming that the latest LP from The Mother Truckers, Let’s All Go To Bed, is as good as any Dixie Chicks album since 1999’s Fly, and says it’s the best Austin album of the year so far.
- The Los Angeles Times‘ Randy Lewis has a nice review of Dolly Parton‘s generous two-and-a-half hour set on Sunday night. Meanwhile, Marc Malkin focused on Parton’s humor-laced stage banter.
- Sony bought out Bertlesmann Music Group’s stake in Sony BMG for $1.2 billion.
- Thanks to Stephen H. for letting us know that Jamey Johnson‘s song “In Color” is the iTunes Single of the Week (opens in iTunes), which means it’s free.
- Beverly Keel has a fantastically informative article on Jamey Johnson. For instance, she says Johnson booked the recording session with his band in April of 2007, but when they got there, they spent the first couple of hours passing whiskey and trading stories.
“I was ready to just pay the bill and book them again, ‘Let’s try again next week,’ when somebody said, ‘Well, I guess we better go cut something.’ We ended up spending most of the night in there and got this album cut that night with the exception of a few songs.”
- Listen to Texas Music Matters’ David Brown talk to Glen Campbell about his time as a lucrative session player and his newest album, Meet Glen Campbell, in which he covers songs from the Foo Fighters and Greenday to Tom Petty and U2. If you make it to the end, you can hear Campbell sing a cover of Scottish Indie pop band Travis’ “Sing.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.