Song Premiere: Rod Picott — “Milkweed”
This morning, we’re glad to premiere “Milkweed,” a track from Rod Picott’s new album, Hang Your Hopes on a Crooked Nail (if that phrase sounds familiar, you probably heard it when Picott’s longtime friend and frequent co-writer, Slaid Cleaves, recorded the song that lyric comes from, “Dreams,” on Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away). Here’s what Picott had to say about this song, a poignant ballad in which he contemplates the inevitable passing of his parents:
This is my version of a William Carlos Williams poem. I used more words the he did but mine is pretty good too. It’s an unusual perspective to write from. I’ve never discussed this before but this is the second time I wrote by putting myself into the future. Not the distant future, but the not too distant future. The other time is when I wrote “Haunted Man” for the first album. In that case I could see where my relationship was headed and asked myself, “what are you gonna feel like?” That’s how I wrote Haunted Man. This time I was thinking about my folks and about my father specifically. He’s not an old man. He’s in his mid 70s. He has Keith Richards genes. They live forever on Picott road. Tar, alcohol and farming accidents be damned, they just keep grumbling along singing the wrong words to whatever song they’re singing. He worked very hard though and I can see it in his eyes. Welding is not interchangeable with accountancy. Both are difficult I’m sure but the scars from addition and subtraction don’t whittle your arms like pine. I’m guessing anyway. So this is a simple song about the guy I had a difficult time with as a young man and have grown close to over many years and how and why I will one day miss him very much. I thought I’d say it now instead of waiting. He never says anything about the records anyway. He just quotes them to me from time to time on his way out the door to his lawn tractor. My brother and I bought it for him brand god damn new. And when it breaks down we’re going to buy him another one.
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.