Single Review: Sunny Sweeney — “Drink Myself Single”
Sunny Sweeney’s past two singles, “From a Table Away” and “Staying’s Worse Than Leaving” show her ability to deliver a damn fine country weeper. But Sweeney can also cut loose with the best of them, as she shows on this rowdy track.
“Drink Myself Single,” co-written with Monty Holmes (who’s had a hand in, among other songs, Lee Ann Womack’s fantastic “Never Again, Again”), is a bit of Loretta Lynn-esque sass wrapped up in a footstomping, radio-friendly arrangement. “I wanna find out what it’s like/To stagger in the house like you do every night/Sneaking into bed like I don’t know the truth/I really wanna know what it’s like to be you,” Sweeney drawls as electric guitars and fiddle battle it out behind her. In true country song fashion, the best way to experience life’s other side, while simultaneously erasing a few bad relationship memories of a soon-to-be ex along the way, involves wedging oneself into a skintight outfit, knocking back a bottle or two of wine, and kissing every guy in sight. With a raucous arrangement transporting listeners into their nearest smoky dive bar and Sweeney’s go-to-hell delivery, it’s near impossible not to get wrapped up in her booze-and-boys panacea of “Drink Myself Single.”
While “From a Table Away” and “Staying’s Worse Than Leaving” earned Sweeney a well-deserved amount of airplay, it’s this song that should make her a household name among radio listeners and CMT viewers.
- Pam Wallace: A day like yesterday,...driving through Ohio countryside with leaves beginning to turn and cows lying in the pastures because every …
- Jackie Lester: My favorite part of autumn is seeing wooly bear caterpillars!
- Mike harris: Love fall with the warm glow of the sun and all the beautiful fall colors
- Richrd Simerson: Love good old bluegrass music
- Six String Richie: Studio A will be replaced with a dog park, condos and restaurants. Gentrification at it's finest.
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …