Shovels & Rope, Jason D. Williams Plan Summer Releases; CMT Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Album Releases
- Shovels & Rope will release their sophomore album, Swimmin’ Time, on August 26 via Dualtone Records. (via press release)
- Watch Kacey Musgraves sing “Follow Your Arrow” at the GLAAD Media Awards.
- The 615 reports that country singer Julia Sheer is a viral phenomenon thanks in part to YouTube’s Country Now channel; she’s got 450,000+ subscribers.
- A different kind of viral phenomenon, the cast of CMT’s Party Down South, announced the nominees for the 2014 CMT Music Awards yesterday. Except for one nomination – Willie Nelson and Neil Young’s “Long May You Run” is up for CMT Performance of the Year – there are no surprises. The awards show will be broadcast on June 4. Fans can vote for the winners here.
- Nominees for this year’s Americana Music Awards will be announced May 12. Elizabeth Cook, Buddy Miller, and Jim Lauderdale will host the hour-long program, which will be broadcast on SiriusXM’s Outlaw Country channel and streamed on Music City Roots. (via press release)
- Travelers: visit RecordShops.org and always know where the nearest record store is.
- Read an excerpt from Todd Snider’s book, I Never Met a Story I Didn’t Like.
- Check out Hellbound Glory’s new video for “Streets of Aberdeen,” a song on their new record, LV (out next week).
- Langhorne Slim’s got a new video, too. Watch “Animal” here.
- John Fullbright’s “High Road” is streaming on Country Weekly’s site.
- Music City Roots celebrates its 200th show tomorrow.
- The documentary Glen Campbell…I’ll Be Me won the grand jury prize at the Nashville Film Festival; director James Keach is working on a distribution deal that’ll hopefully bring the film to a theater near you.
- Here’s Nickel Creek playing “Destination.”
- Mary Sarah’s new album, Bridges, is streaming on USAToday.com before its May 13 release.
- Out June 10: piano pounder Jason D. Williams’ new, Dale Watson-produced album, Hillbillies and Holy Rollers. (via press release)
- Jewly Hight interviewed Willie Watson for The Nashville Scene.
- Bobby Osborne released another installment of his “Road to the Opry” video series.
- Band of Horses played a few for CMT Edge.
- The fifth “All 4 the Hall,” the benefit show spearheaded by Vince Gill and Keith Urban, is being held in Nashville tonight.
- Robby Hecht released a video for “The Light is Gone.”
- PopMatters premiered Collin Herring’s forthcoming record, Some Knives.
- Cole Swindell’s hometown uses quotation marks to hilarious effect.
- The Nashville Scene published a lengthy feature on Chuck Mead.
- This week’s album releases (if you dig the content on E145, we’d sure appreciate it if you’d purchase music through the below affiliate links. It doesn’t cost you extra, but we get a small percentage that goes toward our server costs):
Willie Watson – Folk Singer, Vol. 1
Eden Brent – Jigsaw Heart
Ben and Ellen Harper – Childhood Home
Hunter Hayes – Storyline
Suzie Brown – Almost There
Grant Farm – Plowin’ Time
Craig Bickhardt – The More I Wonder
Cyndi Harvell – Heartache and Revolution
Matrimony – Montibello Memories
Kat Edmonson – Way Down Low
Nikki Lane – All or Nothin’
Leah Turner – Leah Turner
Flying Burrito Brothers – Devils in Disguise: 1971 Live Broadcast
Various Artists – All My Friends: Celebrating the Songs and Voice of Gregg Allman
Various Artists – The Music of Nashville, Season 2, Volume 2
- And a DVD:
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …