Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer Perform Toegther; Country Stars Land Roles in New Civil War Mini-Series; Free Rodney Crowell
- Up until this past fall, sisters Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer have kept their musical lives separate. Recently though, they’ve performed several intimate shows together as part of what they’ve dubbed their Side By Side tour. NPR is streaming a collection of songs that they performed live in Studio 4A, including the song they open each show with and used to title the tour.
- Dwight Yoakam, Laura Bell Bundy, Kix Brooks and members of Rascal Flatts all have roles in an upcoming HBO mini-series about the Civil War.
- Alan Jackson on sharing business advice with younger artists:
I don’t talk to a lot of them. But just recently, when Zac Brown and I were talking, he’s kind of the same way. I don’t really understand, but he’s on a label that’s two different companies and they’re trying to figure out how to do things on the Internet. I could hear things in his voice that I heard when I was a young artist, saying, “They’re not doing this.” Just the same frustrations that you have as an artist. I think a lot of labels are probably hurting for money. When I came along, they were a little more free with their money — promoting you and marketing you and spending on videos.
- Kristian Bush‘s last-minute holiday gift guide. (via Country Music Tattle Tale)
- The Boot: Country Christmas Songs: Top 10 Tunes to Get You in the Spirit
- Here’s video of Keith Urban performing “I’m In” at the Grand Ole Opry.
- Among the things keeping Amber Digby busy these days is an increased co-writing schedule. HoustonPress’ William Michael Smith says she’s written with Dani Flowers, Dale Dodson, Odie Blackmon, and Eddie Perez lately, and will even have a co-write with Vince Gill on his next album on a song titled “One More Thing I Wish I’d Said.” With all of Digby’s hard work, Heart of Texas Records head honcho Tracy Pitcox sees big things in her future:
“I see Amber as being a lot like Elizabeth Cook,” he says. “I know I’m prejudiced, but I think Amber sings as well as any female country singer ever has, and I think she’s going to cut something that takes her to the next level soon.
Pitcox is even willing to sacrifice Digby to a bigger label if it helps further her career, he says, and opens the door for similar artists: “When she makes that next step, she’s going to help all the traditional country acts striving to get somewhere higher.”
- Watch the new video for Steel Magnolia‘s song “Last Night Again” at CMT.
- No Depression’s Grant Alden appreciates the Ray Price version of the Willie Nelson-penned song “Night Life.”
- Steep Canyon Rangers signed with Rounder Records. The band has a new album planned for 2011 with guest appearances from Paul McCartney and the Dixie Chicks.
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caliguiri says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings … Plus! is impressive:
Williams comes across as a quick-witted charmer, opening up about his life in a most disarming manner. He sings unexpected selections like “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain,” “Cool Water,” “Cherokee Boogie,” and “On Top of Old Smoky,” but predictably includes a solemnly rendered gospel number in each show.
- In addition to writing a memoir, Rodney Crowell recorded a new acoustic live album while on tour with Will Kimbrough and Jenny Scheinman, which can be downloaded at his website. Three tracks can even be had for free.
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.