Shelby Lynne & Allison Moorer Perform Toegther; Country Stars Land Roles in New Civil War Mini-Series; Free Rodney Crowell
- Up until this past fall, sisters Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer have kept their musical lives separate. Recently though, they’ve performed several intimate shows together as part of what they’ve dubbed their Side By Side tour. NPR is streaming a collection of songs that they performed live in Studio 4A, including the song they open each show with and used to title the tour.
- Dwight Yoakam, Laura Bell Bundy, Kix Brooks and members of Rascal Flatts all have roles in an upcoming HBO mini-series about the Civil War.
- Alan Jackson on sharing business advice with younger artists:
I don’t talk to a lot of them. But just recently, when Zac Brown and I were talking, he’s kind of the same way. I don’t really understand, but he’s on a label that’s two different companies and they’re trying to figure out how to do things on the Internet. I could hear things in his voice that I heard when I was a young artist, saying, “They’re not doing this.” Just the same frustrations that you have as an artist. I think a lot of labels are probably hurting for money. When I came along, they were a little more free with their money — promoting you and marketing you and spending on videos.
- Kristian Bush‘s last-minute holiday gift guide. (via Country Music Tattle Tale)
- The Boot: Country Christmas Songs: Top 10 Tunes to Get You in the Spirit
- Here’s video of Keith Urban performing “I’m In” at the Grand Ole Opry.
- Among the things keeping Amber Digby busy these days is an increased co-writing schedule. HoustonPress’ William Michael Smith says she’s written with Dani Flowers, Dale Dodson, Odie Blackmon, and Eddie Perez lately, and will even have a co-write with Vince Gill on his next album on a song titled “One More Thing I Wish I’d Said.” With all of Digby’s hard work, Heart of Texas Records head honcho Tracy Pitcox sees big things in her future:
“I see Amber as being a lot like Elizabeth Cook,” he says. “I know I’m prejudiced, but I think Amber sings as well as any female country singer ever has, and I think she’s going to cut something that takes her to the next level soon.
Pitcox is even willing to sacrifice Digby to a bigger label if it helps further her career, he says, and opens the door for similar artists: “When she makes that next step, she’s going to help all the traditional country acts striving to get somewhere higher.”
- Watch the new video for Steel Magnolia‘s song “Last Night Again” at CMT.
- No Depression’s Grant Alden appreciates the Ray Price version of the Willie Nelson-penned song “Night Life.”
- Steep Canyon Rangers signed with Rounder Records. The band has a new album planned for 2011 with guest appearances from Paul McCartney and the Dixie Chicks.
- The Austin Chronicle‘s Jim Caliguiri says the new Hank Williams box set The Complete Mother’s Best Recordings … Plus! is impressive:
Williams comes across as a quick-witted charmer, opening up about his life in a most disarming manner. He sings unexpected selections like “Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain,” “Cool Water,” “Cherokee Boogie,” and “On Top of Old Smoky,” but predictably includes a solemnly rendered gospel number in each show.
- In addition to writing a memoir, Rodney Crowell recorded a new acoustic live album while on tour with Will Kimbrough and Jenny Scheinman, which can be downloaded at his website. Three tracks can even be had for free.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.