Shania Twain Writing Memoir; Asleep at the Wheel Celebrates 40th Year; New Tim McGraw Single
- Next spring, Atria Books will publish a memoir from Shania Twain.
- Accompanied by his lead guitarist and bassist, Billy Currington stopped by the American Songwriter office to perform five of his more popular songs: “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right,” “Good Directions,” “People Are Crazy,” “That’s How Country Boys Roll,” and “Pretty Good At Drinkin’ Beer.” As always, the songs can be streamed and downloaded.
- On November 5, Asleep at the Wheel will celebrate, with help from Willie Nelson and other special guests, its fortieth year of existence with a concert at the Long Center in Austin.
- Farce the Music targeted Zac Brown Band, Kenny Chesney, James Otto, Carrie Underwood, and the always affable John Rich in September’s edition of parodied album covers.
- In celebration of Faith Hill‘s 43rd birthday (yesterday), The Boot ranked her “top ten smashes.”
- More on the Justin Townes Earle arrest:
Radio Radio owner David “Tufty” Clough said Earle smashed a table, a lamp and a mirror in the venue’s basement dressing room.
Clough’s daughter, Cheyenne Caperton, said she was hit by Earle’s closed fist when she attempted to stop the musician from assaulting her father.
Earle released a statement saying reports surfacing online — although he didn’t clarify which reports — are not accurate and that he opposes violence against women in any form.
- The Oak Ridge Boys’ Joe Bonsall has a new book out titled From My Perspective, which pulls together various essays and stories he’s written over the years.
- Stream the new Tim McGraw single “Felt Good On My Lips” here.
- The A.V. Club writer Nathan Rabin tackled Lyle Lovett‘s first three albums in his latest Nashville or Bust column.
I had to listen intently to appreciate the first three Lyle Lovett albums I wrote about in this column. His songs creep up on you: Each new listen reveals something new and sneakily brilliant, a sly metaphor or deft turn of phrase or haunting, novelistic details. Lovett’s subtly genius cerebral country demands careful concentration. It also rewards it spectacularly.
- As of yesterday, Jamey Johnson‘s new album The Guitar Song is available on vinyl. It comes with three discs — one is black, another white, and one that’s split down the middle. Here’s a video of the vinyl being pressed, with an overlay of the song “Lonely at the Top.” Also, some of the footage looks like it could explain where the swirly mass on the album cover came from.
- Gloriana’s Cheyenne Kimball recently became engaged to songwriter Casey Twist.
- Associated Press writer Chris Talbott says there are no clinkers on Randy Houser‘s new album They Call Me Cadillac, “just solid songwriting punctuated with an interesting take on the music.”
From upbeat rocker “Lowdown And Lonesome” to the melancholy “Addicted” (with a guest appearance by Lee Ann Womack) to a midlife meditation on love “Will I Always Be This Way,” Houser offers a textured look at something more than where the next cold one is coming from.
- For this week’s edition of Acoustic Motel, Jack Ingram performed the Guy Clark song “Stuff That Works.”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.