Shania Twain Guests On American Idol; Dolly Parton Box Set Announced; George Jones Teams With Cracker Barrel
- Shania Twain will fill in as a guest judge at an upcoming American Idol audition.
New releases for the week of August 18, 2009 include:
- Mindy Smith visited The Early Show a few days ago where she performed “Jolene” in the Second Cup Café.
- Austin Music Source’s Joe Gross published reviews of the new Delbert McClinton and Hot Club of Cowtown discs.
- Listen to “I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby” by Tony Joe White.
- Sony Legacy will release a 4-CD Dolly Parton box set on October 27, simply titled Dolly. The set will span her entire career and include a handful of unreleased tracks.
- Sabrina Taylor and Tabitha Hall purchased a tour of Dolly Parton‘s Tennessee Mountain Home — her Sevierville residence which was immortalized in the song of the same title — for $75,000 at a recent fundraiser.
- Warren “Gates” Nichols, steel pedal guitarist for Confederate Railroad, succumbed to pancreatic cancer last Friday.
- The song “Little Ol’ Wine Drinker Me” has been recorded by the likes of Merle Haggard and Lefty Frizzell, but Barstool Mountain claims the definitive version belongs to Dean Martin.
- On August 31, Cracker Barrel will release an exclusive George Jones collection, A Collection Of My Best Recollection, with two previously unreleased songs, “I Don’t Want To Know,” and “I’m A Long Gone Daddy.”
- In an interview with CMT Insider, Reba McEntire gives the back story of how she came to record the song “She Thinks His Name Was John” and says that her favorite song is “Fancy.”
- Jesse Hill published a lengthy interview with Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show at Country Music Pride.
- Watch the new video for Terri Clark‘s “Gypsy Boots.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.