Shania Twain Guests On American Idol; Dolly Parton Box Set Announced; George Jones Teams With Cracker Barrel
- Shania Twain will fill in as a guest judge at an upcoming American Idol audition.
New releases for the week of August 18, 2009 include:
- Mindy Smith visited The Early Show a few days ago where she performed “Jolene” in the Second Cup Café.
- Austin Music Source’s Joe Gross published reviews of the new Delbert McClinton and Hot Club of Cowtown discs.
- Listen to “I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby” by Tony Joe White.
- Sony Legacy will release a 4-CD Dolly Parton box set on October 27, simply titled Dolly. The set will span her entire career and include a handful of unreleased tracks.
- Sabrina Taylor and Tabitha Hall purchased a tour of Dolly Parton‘s Tennessee Mountain Home — her Sevierville residence which was immortalized in the song of the same title — for $75,000 at a recent fundraiser.
- Warren “Gates” Nichols, steel pedal guitarist for Confederate Railroad, succumbed to pancreatic cancer last Friday.
- The song “Little Ol’ Wine Drinker Me” has been recorded by the likes of Merle Haggard and Lefty Frizzell, but Barstool Mountain claims the definitive version belongs to Dean Martin.
- On August 31, Cracker Barrel will release an exclusive George Jones collection, A Collection Of My Best Recollection, with two previously unreleased songs, “I Don’t Want To Know,” and “I’m A Long Gone Daddy.”
- In an interview with CMT Insider, Reba McEntire gives the back story of how she came to record the song “She Thinks His Name Was John” and says that her favorite song is “Fancy.”
- Jesse Hill published a lengthy interview with Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show at Country Music Pride.
- Watch the new video for Terri Clark‘s “Gypsy Boots.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Paul W Dennis: Tom T & Dixie Hall are good people and I wish them all the best through this difficult time
- Paul W Dennis: Actually , it is not. We have so thoroughly debased our language that it is no longer possible to praise …
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …