Shania Twain Guests On American Idol; Dolly Parton Box Set Announced; George Jones Teams With Cracker Barrel
- Shania Twain will fill in as a guest judge at an upcoming American Idol audition.
New releases for the week of August 18, 2009 include:
- Mindy Smith visited The Early Show a few days ago where she performed “Jolene” in the Second Cup Café.
- Austin Music Source’s Joe Gross published reviews of the new Delbert McClinton and Hot Club of Cowtown discs.
- Listen to “I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby” by Tony Joe White.
- Sony Legacy will release a 4-CD Dolly Parton box set on October 27, simply titled Dolly. The set will span her entire career and include a handful of unreleased tracks.
- Sabrina Taylor and Tabitha Hall purchased a tour of Dolly Parton‘s Tennessee Mountain Home — her Sevierville residence which was immortalized in the song of the same title — for $75,000 at a recent fundraiser.
- Warren “Gates” Nichols, steel pedal guitarist for Confederate Railroad, succumbed to pancreatic cancer last Friday.
- The song “Little Ol’ Wine Drinker Me” has been recorded by the likes of Merle Haggard and Lefty Frizzell, but Barstool Mountain claims the definitive version belongs to Dean Martin.
- On August 31, Cracker Barrel will release an exclusive George Jones collection, A Collection Of My Best Recollection, with two previously unreleased songs, “I Don’t Want To Know,” and “I’m A Long Gone Daddy.”
- In an interview with CMT Insider, Reba McEntire gives the back story of how she came to record the song “She Thinks His Name Was John” and says that her favorite song is “Fancy.”
- Jesse Hill published a lengthy interview with Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show at Country Music Pride.
- Watch the new video for Terri Clark‘s “Gypsy Boots.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …