Shania Twain Guests On American Idol; Dolly Parton Box Set Announced; George Jones Teams With Cracker Barrel
- Shania Twain will fill in as a guest judge at an upcoming American Idol audition.
New releases for the week of August 18, 2009 include:
- Mindy Smith visited The Early Show a few days ago where she performed “Jolene” in the Second Cup Café.
- Austin Music Source’s Joe Gross published reviews of the new Delbert McClinton and Hot Club of Cowtown discs.
- Listen to “I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby” by Tony Joe White.
- Sony Legacy will release a 4-CD Dolly Parton box set on October 27, simply titled Dolly. The set will span her entire career and include a handful of unreleased tracks.
- Sabrina Taylor and Tabitha Hall purchased a tour of Dolly Parton‘s Tennessee Mountain Home — her Sevierville residence which was immortalized in the song of the same title — for $75,000 at a recent fundraiser.
- Warren “Gates” Nichols, steel pedal guitarist for Confederate Railroad, succumbed to pancreatic cancer last Friday.
- The song “Little Ol’ Wine Drinker Me” has been recorded by the likes of Merle Haggard and Lefty Frizzell, but Barstool Mountain claims the definitive version belongs to Dean Martin.
- On August 31, Cracker Barrel will release an exclusive George Jones collection, A Collection Of My Best Recollection, with two previously unreleased songs, “I Don’t Want To Know,” and “I’m A Long Gone Daddy.”
- In an interview with CMT Insider, Reba McEntire gives the back story of how she came to record the song “She Thinks His Name Was John” and says that her favorite song is “Fancy.”
- Jesse Hill published a lengthy interview with Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show at Country Music Pride.
- Watch the new video for Terri Clark‘s “Gypsy Boots.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.