Shania Twain Guests On American Idol; Dolly Parton Box Set Announced; George Jones Teams With Cracker Barrel
- Shania Twain will fill in as a guest judge at an upcoming American Idol audition.
New releases for the week of August 18, 2009 include:
- Mindy Smith visited The Early Show a few days ago where she performed “Jolene” in the Second Cup Café.
- Austin Music Source’s Joe Gross published reviews of the new Delbert McClinton and Hot Club of Cowtown discs.
- Listen to “I’ve Got A Thing About You Baby” by Tony Joe White.
- Sony Legacy will release a 4-CD Dolly Parton box set on October 27, simply titled Dolly. The set will span her entire career and include a handful of unreleased tracks.
- Sabrina Taylor and Tabitha Hall purchased a tour of Dolly Parton‘s Tennessee Mountain Home — her Sevierville residence which was immortalized in the song of the same title — for $75,000 at a recent fundraiser.
- Warren “Gates” Nichols, steel pedal guitarist for Confederate Railroad, succumbed to pancreatic cancer last Friday.
- The song “Little Ol’ Wine Drinker Me” has been recorded by the likes of Merle Haggard and Lefty Frizzell, but Barstool Mountain claims the definitive version belongs to Dean Martin.
- On August 31, Cracker Barrel will release an exclusive George Jones collection, A Collection Of My Best Recollection, with two previously unreleased songs, “I Don’t Want To Know,” and “I’m A Long Gone Daddy.”
- In an interview with CMT Insider, Reba McEntire gives the back story of how she came to record the song “She Thinks His Name Was John” and says that her favorite song is “Fancy.”
- Jesse Hill published a lengthy interview with Ketch Secor of Old Crow Medicine Show at Country Music Pride.
- Watch the new video for Terri Clark‘s “Gypsy Boots.” (via That Nashville Sound)
- Leeann Ward: For a slow new Christmas music year, the announcement of the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP and the Christmas tracks by …
- chris: That voice singing with Jim Ed is younger sister Bonnie, also a member of the Browns.
- Kev: I saw Jim Ed at the Opry in June and he sounded great then. I certainly look forward to …
- Delica Smith: I've had the blessings of following Mr. JimEd and Helen Cornelius since the mid 70s. I was a amateur …
- Inell: I meant to say you still sound as great as you did when you sang Pop O Top
- Inell: Oh Jim this is an awesome song I will be adding this to the collection of your other records I …
- Arlene: I couldn't agree more with Bonnie Raitt's description of Mavis Staples as a live performer. Forget St. John's wort-- …
- Tom: "...lucinda williams recorded enough material for another album" - better late than never this strike of wisdom.
- Paul W Dennis: Jim Ed, as a solo artist, is the one artist of the 1960s & 1970s most poorly served in terms …
- luckyoldsun: Can't really tell if he sounds good or not. The engineers were smart enough to lay another voice down directly …