Shania Goes Postal; Steve Dilling Leaves IIIrd Tyme Out; New Music Videos
- Sources say former Nirvana drummer and current Foo Fighters rocker Dave Grohl will be producing the next Zac Brown Band album.
- Erika White and, to a lesser degree, her husband Bryan White will be participating in the new TNT reality series, Private Lives of Nashville Wives.
- We pay obeisance to C.M. Wilcox for this week’s Quotable Country.
- Eddie Bush, formerly with One Flew South, has a new album called Eat Drink Sing that he’s releasing with the Napa-based Mira Winery.
- The Voice Season 4 finalists The Swon Brothers have been signed to a record deal on Arista Nashville.
- Eric Church’s rock anthem “The Outsiders” opened at #27 in its first week on the MediaBase charts.
- Sawyer Brown, Phil Vassar, Rodney Atkins, Charlie Chase and Justin Moore will join Charlie Daniels on stage for his annual Charlie Daniels Band & Friends Christmas 4 Kids benefit concert on November 25 at the Ryman Auditorium.
- Shania Twain and Hank Snow are going to be on Canadian postage stamps in 2014.
- Former Cross Canadian Ragweed lead singer Cody Canada will release a two-LP, solo recording called Some Old, Some New, Maybe a Cover or Two on November 19.
- Rodney Atkins and Rose Falcon are getting hitched next month.
- Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver were named the Bluegrass Gospel Group of the Year at the 22nd Annual Diamond Awards.
- Dean Brody released some clever promotional videos for his new album, Crop Circles, which comes out tomorrow.
- Alison Krauss is November’s spotlight artist over at My Kind of Country.
- Jason Isbell needs fans to contribute photos of loved ones affected by cancer for his new music video for “Elephant.”
- Our friend Rita Ballou interviewed the guys from Statesboro Revue and has a couple of songs off their excellent Ramble on Privilege Creek album to stream on her site.
- Ashley Monroe did an interview for NPR and filmed a Tiny Desk Concert. Listen at your leisure.
- Sarah Rodman of The Boston Globe wrote a feature on whether we have reached critical mass with “bro-country.” An excerpt: Stoughton native Lori McKenna has become an in-demand writing partner in Nashville, scoring recent hits with “I Want Crazy” by Hunter Hayes and “Your Side of the Bed” with Little Big Town. She says she understands the inclination to write to the market demands. “I’ve gotten into a little bit of trouble with ‘I Want Crazy,’ ” McKenna says of the more lighthearted tune, “but I don’t get defensive about it, because I’m proud of it.” She agrees with the analogy that just as actors sometimes make independent films to indulge their more artistic temperament and do blockbuster action movies to buy their boats, so do songwriters toggle between grittier and lighter approaches. “We all just want to stay in the game, so if every now again you write a song about a riverbank, I think that’s cool. I think the acting scenario is exactly right. It’s not like we’re making a porn movie; there’s certain degrees of what we’re willing to do.”
- Check out “The Low Road (Live)” from Shooter Jennings‘ The Other Live available on his new label November 26.
- Hatch Show Print moved into their new digs at the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- 1983 ACM Female Vocalist of the Year Sylvia is returning to the stage in 2014.
- Banjo player Steve Dilling is leaving Russell Moore & IIIrd Tyme Out after two decades with the band.
- Why do country music and scripture go so well together?
- Stream the soundtrack to the Coen Brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis.
- And last but not certainly not least, Peter Cooper wrote a feature on Brandy Clark which happened to reference Engine 145.
- New music videos from the past week or so:
The Band Perry – “Don’t Let Me Be Lonely”
Dierks Bentley – “I Hold On”
Zac Brown Band – “Sweet Annie”
Whiskey Myers – “Home”
The Devil Makes Three – “Stranger”
Sera Cahoone – “Nervous Wreck”
Sam Riggs and the Night People – “When the Lights Go Out”
Joe Bachman – “A Soldier’s Memoir”
Morgan Frazier – “Hey Bully”
Luke O’Shea – “Lady of the Land”
Adam Brand – “Freedom Rebels”
Robby Johnson – “South of Me”
LeAnn Rimes – “What Have I Done” (Live on the Grand Ole Opry stage)
The Grascals with Dierks Bentley – “American Pickers”
Shelby Lynne – “Call Me Up”
Amos Lee – “Johnson Blvd”
Wade Bowen – “Songs About Trucks”
- Dave D.: I never expected to see a shout out to the Cameron Family Singers today (or any day, for that matter). …
- nm: Duncan Cooper is not wrong.
- bob: Re Herndon, O'Neal & Griggs touring together, Herndon's "Lies I Told Myself Album" includes a duet with O'Neal, "I Can't". …
- luckyoldsun: Looks like CMT is pulling a "surprise" for its Artists' Choice countdown. They're coming up on #2 but there are …
- Jim Z: " Luke Bryan (Best Country Male Artist), Brantley Gilbert’s Just as I Am (Best Country Album), Carrie Underwood (Best Country …
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …