Shanachie Records Signs Tammy Cochran And Gene Watson
- Shanachie Records continues onwards with its dive into country music by signing Tammy Cochran and Gene Watson to the label. The first album that will be released from Cochran is “Where I Am,” an album of 12 originals that was self-released earlier this year (read our interview with Tammy Cochran). Watson’s album will consist of some new songs and some old classics that are favorites of his.
- You’d be hard pressed to find someone who has had a career in country music as illustrious as Bill Anderson’s. He’s had songs recorded by artists like Ernest Tubb and Ray Price to Waylon Jennings and even modern day artists Kenny Chesney and Brad Paisley. Peter Cooper has a nice profile on the career of the man known as Whisperin’ Bill.
“In the days when I came along, the style was the thing,” he said. “If you weren’t different, you didn’t stand much of a chance. Now, if you’re very different at all, you don’t stand much of a chance.”
“I remember when we were in New York for the CMAs, when ‘Whiskey Lullaby’ was up for best song,” Randall said. “We were waiting to be taken to our seats, and Kris Kristofferson was there with us. I was listening to him and Kristofferson saying, ‘I can’t believe they still let us old farts still do this.’ And Kris said, ‘When I was in the Army, I used to sing your songs, Bill.’ And I was thinking, ‘I want to be Bill Anderson when I grow up.’ “
- GAC answered a few questions from their readers, one of which came from someone who attended the same Gary Allan show Jenna attended a few weeks ago.
I just saw Gary Allan in concert in Helotes, Texas. It was a fantastic show! He sang several new songs, including “She’s So California” and “Like It’s a Bad Thing.” When is his next CD scheduled to be released?
(Deane, Gonzales, TX)
A: Deane, at this point there is no release date set for Gary Allan’s new album. Gary says he was pretty far along with recording for a new studio album when his record label told him they needed to do a greatest hits package instead. So, his next studio album could come out later this year, but early 2008 is more likely.
- Peter Cooper also has a pretty good piece on Miranda Lambert.
Look at this: I’m sitting outside by the bus, drinking a beer. And the part where I actually go onstage and actually ‘work’ is something I love to do. I do this for a living. So, it looks like we’re on a good road.
Who wouldn’t love that job?
- Tom: ...good idea, a george jones museum in nashville. is there a building tall enough for a voice and a career …
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider