Settlement Will Allow Country Music Hall of Fame to Keep Historic Instruments
- The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will be required to pay $750,000 to keep historic instruments from Bill Monroe, Johnny Cash and Mother Maybelle Carter. The instruments were donated by Bob McLean, who committed suicide after being accused of defrauding investors. The settlement will go to McLean’s bankruptcy estate to help pay back his creditors.
- Peter Cooper doesn’t like people who pull out their Blackberry during intimate concert performances. Especially when the intimate concert performance is by Don Schlitz, the writer of “The Gambler,” and he’s in the middle of intimately performing “The Gambler.”
- Photocrap is back to the funny with honest album covers chosen from several year-end best-of lists.
- In the introduction to his interview with Ashton Shepherd, The Washington Post‘s J. Freedom du Lac mentions that Shepherd’s album Sounds So Good is his pick for album of the year.
Was there ever any question that you’d make a traditional-sounding album? That’s not exactly the easiest sell these days.
It was always just gonna be what it is. I remember when we first started, me and [producer Buddy Cannon] were starting to get to know each other. I remember talkin’ to him one day and I was telling him the different music that I love. I said, “Buddy, I love John Anderson’s music. I love that sound, with the fiddles driving a lot of his songs.” And I gave a couple of other examples of real country music that I like.
I was a little afraid then because I didn’t really know Buddy. I knew a little of his history of course and just how legendary he is. But I didn’t know what he was going to want to do with my songs. Producin’, that’s not what I do. I’m just a singer-songwriter.
- Roughstock‘s top 25 albums of 2008.
- If you’re not familiar with Dolly Parton‘s catalog, you’re in luck–Country Universe‘s Kevin J. Coyne put together a handy buyer’s guide.
- For his next album, due in the spring on Bloodshot Records, Wayne Hancock decided to use his road band. It will include a song titled “Moving On” that he wrote when he was 14 and another about economic hard times that he wrote 20 years ago.
- Listen to an interview with Charlie Haden and family, and musical selections from their latest album, on NPR. Haden is most known for being a jazz bassist, but he grew up in a musical family that performed together on country radio. His most recent album, Ramblin’ Boy, marks a return to those country roots with his current family: triplets Petra, Tanya and Rachel; son Josh and son-in-law and actor Jack Black. Also making appearances are country music singers Vince Gill, Ricky Skaggs, and Rosanne Cash, as well as Elvis Costello, Bruce Hornsby, and Pat Metheny.
- Word has it that Tanya Tucker and Collin Raye will be releasing new albums in the spring on Saguaro Road Records.
- A big thanks goes out to Jim Caligiuri for mentioning The 9513 as best discovery in The Austin Chronicle‘s year-end critic’s poll and for everyone who nominated us for The 2008 Weblog Awards in the best music blog category. Both were unexpected and exciting. We’ll let you know when voting opens for finalists in the Weblog Awards, so uh, if you’ve got the itch you can vote for us.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.