Just Call Him Señor George Strait; Miranda Lambert Shares Studio Footage
- You know that new George Strait record due out in August? Ken Tucker says it will blow your mind.
Recorded at Jimmy Buffett’s Shrimp Boat Studios in Key West, Fla., the album includes a song that Strait sings entirely in Spanish, “El Rey,” which is a Mexican standard and was a giant mariachi hit for Vincente Fernandez. (“El Rey” means “the king.”) “After he played the song for me, George said, ‘Can we do this?’” Brown remembers. “’Hell, yeah,’ I said. ‘You’re George Strait. Everybody’s wondering what we’re going to do anyway’.”
Update: Read more analysis and thoughts about George Strait’s upcoming song, “El Rey.”
- Miranda Lambert posted video footage from the studio during the recording of “Time To Get A Gun” for her upcoming album, Revolution. (via Country Music Is Love)
- My Kind of Country: Is it important to you that your favorite performers write their own material? Can someone be considered a true artist if they are reliant on others to supply them with lyrics and melodies?
- CDs He’s Diggin’ Right Now: Although he’s a fan of bluegrass music in a live setting, The Gobblers Knob Kelly Dearmore confesses that bluegrass on CD is often underwhelming. However two recent Sugar Hill releases, Sarah Jarosz‘s Song Up In Her Head and Chris Pandolfi‘s Looking Glass, have caught his attention.
- You’ve been farced: Ricky Skaggs, Johnny Cash and Brad Paisley could not escape the second day of honest/pradoy album covers at Farce the Music.
- Country California:
The Nashville songwriting community is reeling after the arrival of a peculiar man with a bold new approach to songwriting that does not involve conferences, coffee shop chats, or slumber parties. In fact, Stan Hill claims that he writes best when left to quiet self-reflection. Word around town is that he’s up to something, though nobody knows what it is just yet.
- Rodney Hayden is recording a full band show in San Antonio this Saturday.
- The American Songwriter staff listed 25 of their favorite songs from 1984 to 2009 and included tracks from Garth Brooks, The SteelDrivers, Alan Jackson and more.
- A pair of entrepreneurs in Dallas plan to open a bar devoted entirely to “red dirt” music. Commenters on the linked article are giving the bar three months before they say it’ll be gone.
“That’s what this bar is all about — red dirt and Texas blues,” [manager] Verdooren says. “Bands from that genre, like Cross Canadian Ragweed, Stoney LaRue. Tony says it’s not country — we do not play any country music. It’s straight red dirt.
- That Nashville Sound relays the tragic tale of former Opry star David “Stringbean” Akeman.
- The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper: “Bill Anderson has been a music pro for 52 years — that’s two-and-a-half Taylor Swifts — and his hit songwriter’s pen shows no sign of drying up.”
- Listen to Dale Ann Bradley, the reigning Female Bluegrass Vocalist of the Year for the second year in a row, on Mountain Stage.
- Chet Flippo shares several recent albums that he’s been enjoying this year.
- In recognition of being #1 on the Euro Americana chart, Owen Temple is offering his new album, Dollars and Dimes, as a free download. You can read all about the album, which was influenced by the book The Nine Nations of North America, in the Chicago Sun-Times.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …