Second Round of CMA Awards Performers Announced; Oct. 5th New Releases; Blake Shelton Preps Hits Album
- Hosts Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood were announced as performers for the Nov. 10th CMA Awards. Rounding out the list in this second announcement of performers were Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Reba McEntire, Sugarland, and George Strait.
- After six years and four albums together, The Grascals and Rounder split ways.
- If you watched the new Blake Shelton video for “Who Are You When I’m Not Looking” and thought to yourself, “Self, I gotta have that robe,” you’re in luck. Model not included. (via email)
- On Nov. 9, Blake Shelton will release his first hits album, Loaded: The Best of Blake Shelton.
- The countdown to Taylor Swift‘s new album Speak Now begins today with the release of the title track on iTunes. (iTunes)
- Peter Cooper wonders if all the accolades for The Guitar Song foreshadow a possible Grammy for Jamey Johnson.
New releases for the week of October 5, 2010 include:
George Jones – The Music of George Jones (Box Set)
Merle Haggard – The Music of Merle Haggard (Box Set)
- The thing most reviews agree on in regards to Toby Keith‘s new album, Bullets In The Gun, is that he’s toned down the machismo. If the album has a theme at all, Michael McCall says “it’s about aggressively masculine guys receiving their comeuppance, from women or from life itself.” Writing for The Boston Globe, Scott McLennan says Keith seems to have held back from letting fly:
As is the case with most Nashville star vehicles, Keith’s 15th studio album glimmers with pop sheen, which actually dims some of the feeling lurking within these songs. “Ain’t Breakin’ Nothin’ ’’ and “Is That All You Got’’ probably have good stories behind them, but ended up thin platitudes of tough guys with aching hearts.
- Sammy Kershaw‘s second bid to become lieutenant governor of Louisiana ended on Oct. 2 when he placed third during a special election to fill the position.
- Country California: Quotable Country – 10/04/10 Edition
- Eleven questions with Heidi Newfield, who turned 40 yesterday:
Are there any singers in country music who you feel just got lucky as opposed to being talented?
ABSOLUTELY!!! That’s my answer with a capital ‘A.’ The whole answer needs to be capitals with several exclamation points behind it. [laughs]
- Luke Bryan is working on a campaign to raise awareness for his new artist of the year nomination at the CMA Awards and confirms that no leotards will be worn this go around.
- Writing for Ninebullets.net, Adam Fenwick likes everything about the new album from The SteelDrivers, Reckless, but thinks the song “Where Rainbows Never Die” should have been left off.
- Keith Anderson is engaged to his longtime girlfriend, Lauren Woodruff.
- In a cover story for Billboard, Mikael Wood calls the new record from Sugarland “another step away from country-music orthodoxy,” and the reggae-inflected breakdown of lead single “Stuck Like Glue” only seems like the beginning. It was enough of a departure that some radio stations edited the song to remove the breakdown.
“I feel for them artistically,” Sugarland’s manager Gail Gellman says of the radio edit. “Nobody would change Van Gogh’s ‘Starry Night'; they wouldn’t even consider it. ‘Oh, I think I’ll erase these stars because it looks better without them,’ ” she says with a laugh. “I mean, touching their art — it’s so presumptuous. No one has the right to change it. That opinion will probably make me unpopular, but I’m protective of them and I feel strongly about it.”
- Lady Antebellum’s Hillary Scott joined Nashville singer-songwriter Dave Barnes’ for a duet on his upcoming Christmas album. The song is called “Christmas Tonight” and will appear on Very Merry Christmas.
In her new video for “You’re to Blame” — shot in one continuous take — Elizabeth McQueen dares viewers not to smile.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …