Sara Evans Settles Suit; Jack Ingram Bests Taylor Swift; What’s Country?
- Sara Evans‘ former nanny scored more than $500,000 in the settlement for a defamation suit she filed against the country singer in April 2007.
- Kathy Mattea on the divide between traditional and pop influences in country music: (via GAC)
“This tension between a real traditional sound and pop music, it’s nothing new,” said Mattea. “We had Barbara Mandrell, Sylvia, Garth Brooks, Mary Chapin Carpenter… Lionel Richie had a country hit when I was doing my thing.”
Mattea says she admires many young country artists; Jamey Johnson is one. Brad Paisley is another.
“They give me a lot of hope,” she said.
- And furthering that discussion, Chet Flippo tackles the topic of what’s country and what’s not in this week’s Nashville Skyline column.
- Country Universe: What do you think are perfect examples of good artists gone bad?
- CMT has new videos for Miranda Lambert‘s song about deceased vegetation, or “Dead Flowers,” and David Nail‘s “Red Light.”
- In an interview with Steve LaBate, Todd Snider talks about his affinity for Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and pop culture in general, the inspiration behind a couple of songs on his latest CD, and a new book he’s working on titled Almost Everything I Say Is True.
And I’m actually gonna tell the stories, and then I’m going to tell what’s real and what’s not. I got this guy named Dennis Cook, and he writes about The Black Crowes all the time, and him and I are going to get together and pick the 10 longest, most-told stories [of mine], and get them typed out, and then I’m going to give him the phone numbers of all the people I mention. And I’m gonna say, “Now, go hear the real story, and then you can come back and hit me like a lawyer, and write about your experience.” I’m going to tell him where the bodies are buried. [laughs] I’m looking forward to that.
- Random Tweet (@JackIngramMusic): Well- I did my part! I changed t-shirts 5 or 6 times during my set 2day…now that is some serious wardrobe! Beat that Taylor Swift!!!
- My Kind of Country continued its coverage of John Anderson, the Spotlight Artist of the Month, with J.R. Journey’s review of All the People Are Talkin’, an album which found Anderson exploring the rock and roll sound he embraced for the rest of the ’80s.
- Feeling a little nostalgic, Craig Shelburne shared several albums–ranging from Bobby Bare, Slaid Cleaves, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell and Fats Domino–that fit his mood.
- Country Universe: If you were able to create your own super group who could make at least one album, who would be the members? What would you name the group?
- Kenny Chesney talks about his core country audience and crossover appeal, pulling a Chris Gaines and producing Willie Nelson in an interview with Gibson. (via CMT Blog)
- Listen, download and enjoy Jerry Jeff Walker‘s acoustic performance of “Lovin’ Makes Livin’ Worthwhile” from Studio 1A.
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …