Sara Evans Settles Suit; Jack Ingram Bests Taylor Swift; What’s Country?
- Sara Evans‘ former nanny scored more than $500,000 in the settlement for a defamation suit she filed against the country singer in April 2007.
- Kathy Mattea on the divide between traditional and pop influences in country music: (via GAC)
“This tension between a real traditional sound and pop music, it’s nothing new,” said Mattea. “We had Barbara Mandrell, Sylvia, Garth Brooks, Mary Chapin Carpenter… Lionel Richie had a country hit when I was doing my thing.”
Mattea says she admires many young country artists; Jamey Johnson is one. Brad Paisley is another.
“They give me a lot of hope,” she said.
- And furthering that discussion, Chet Flippo tackles the topic of what’s country and what’s not in this week’s Nashville Skyline column.
- Country Universe: What do you think are perfect examples of good artists gone bad?
- CMT has new videos for Miranda Lambert‘s song about deceased vegetation, or “Dead Flowers,” and David Nail‘s “Red Light.”
- In an interview with Steve LaBate, Todd Snider talks about his affinity for Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan and pop culture in general, the inspiration behind a couple of songs on his latest CD, and a new book he’s working on titled Almost Everything I Say Is True.
And I’m actually gonna tell the stories, and then I’m going to tell what’s real and what’s not. I got this guy named Dennis Cook, and he writes about The Black Crowes all the time, and him and I are going to get together and pick the 10 longest, most-told stories [of mine], and get them typed out, and then I’m going to give him the phone numbers of all the people I mention. And I’m gonna say, “Now, go hear the real story, and then you can come back and hit me like a lawyer, and write about your experience.” I’m going to tell him where the bodies are buried. [laughs] I’m looking forward to that.
- Random Tweet (@JackIngramMusic): Well- I did my part! I changed t-shirts 5 or 6 times during my set 2day…now that is some serious wardrobe! Beat that Taylor Swift!!!
- My Kind of Country continued its coverage of John Anderson, the Spotlight Artist of the Month, with J.R. Journey’s review of All the People Are Talkin’, an album which found Anderson exploring the rock and roll sound he embraced for the rest of the ’80s.
- Feeling a little nostalgic, Craig Shelburne shared several albums–ranging from Bobby Bare, Slaid Cleaves, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell and Fats Domino–that fit his mood.
- Country Universe: If you were able to create your own super group who could make at least one album, who would be the members? What would you name the group?
- Kenny Chesney talks about his core country audience and crossover appeal, pulling a Chris Gaines and producing Willie Nelson in an interview with Gibson. (via CMT Blog)
- Listen, download and enjoy Jerry Jeff Walker‘s acoustic performance of “Lovin’ Makes Livin’ Worthwhile” from Studio 1A.
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.