Sara Evans and Brad Paisley Schedule New Albums; Billboard’s Year-End Lists; Ray Wylie Hubbard Dissatisfied with Finished Movie
- Chet Flippo on respect in country music:
When some kind of a strange variety show on a network TV channel opens with a song titled “Kiss My Country Ass,” any possible respect for the country music tradition [...] is absolutely thrown under the bus. You want trashy music? You got it. You want some respect for the country audience? Forget it.
- Watch Easton Corbin‘s new video for “I Can’t Love You Back.”
- Starting next Monday, Brad Paisley will offer his current single, “This Is Country Music,” as a free download for a week. The song will also be the title track to his next album, due out on April 19.
- GAC’s Tom Roland: Is “Brown Chicken Brown Cow” Trace Adkins’ next “Honky Tonk Badonkadonk”?
- Country California Fake News: WomackLeaks Website Goes Viral
A devotee of traditional country music, Womack has to get skunk drunk to make it through her lone pop hit “I Hope You Dance” on stage every night. Even then, half the time she accidentally switches over to “Til I Can Make It On My Own” part way through out of force of habit.
- Craig Havighurst recapped Wednesday’s Music City Roots program, which was bookended with sets from Peter Cooper & Eric Brace and Chris Hillman & Herb Pedersen.
- Neal McCoy plans to release a book come mid-January. Titled A New Mountain to Climb after his current single, it’ll be about the people have inspired and changed his life.
- A West Philly sculptor has been commissioned to create an 8-foot statue of Willie Nelson as a gift for the city of Austin. (via Still Is Still Moving)
- When fall 2011 rolls around Loretta Lynn fans will be able to purchase a new Van Lear rose.
- In an interview with Craig Shelburne, Grace Potter described her thoughts behind the decision to record “You and Tequila” with Kenny Chesney:
I was always sort of mystified and excited about the world of country music. Something about it struck me as enchanted. It’s something that’s so beyond what I do and what I grew up doing, it was like the unknown — kind of how I felt about gospel music when I first started listening to and studying gospel music. The song itself is just unbelievable. It is one of the most well-written songs. I knew it was just a demo. I knew it was kind of a one-tape wonder approach. And the second I heard that chorus, I was like “Oh, I’m in. I’m in.’”
- The film Last Rites of Ransom Pride could have been something special, but even the script’s co-writer, Ray Wylie Hubbard, thinks the finished product comes across as cheesy.
- Sara Evans next album, titled Stronger, is scheduled for a March 8 release.
- Music Fog video: Terri Hendrix & Lloyd Maines – “I Found the Lions”
- Joe Nichols’ hit single “Gimmie That Girl” (YouTube) is the second most played song of 2010, according to trade magazine Country Aircheck. (via email)
- Guitar maestro Esteban released a two-disc tribute to Johnny Cash early last month.
- Billboard Best of 2010: Overview | Country Songs | Country Albums
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.