Ryan Bingham/T Bone Burnet Pick Up Golden Globe Nods; Luke Bryan’s “Do I” Tops Charts
- Jeff Bridges received a Golden Globe nomination for his performance in Crazy Heart, which also netted Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett nods for best original song for “The Weary Kind.”
- Sarah Jarosz recently dropped by the KUT studios to record some old favorites and a few new tunes. Listen to new tune “Come Around” on Texas Music Matters.
- Josh Turner plans to release a standard and deluxe edition of his new album Haywire on February 9. The deluxe edition will include two previously unreleased songs, live audio tracks of his hits “Your Man” and “Long Black Train,” and video footage.
- Julianne Hough‘s new DVD, Dance with Julianne: Cardio Ballroom, is out today. Watch a promotional video on Amazon.
- CMT’s Chet Flippo and Music Mix’s Whitney Pastorek turned in more reviews of Garth Brooks‘ shindig in Vegas over the weekend.
- Music Fog: Madison Violet – “The Ransom”
- In a condensed interview with The Boston Globe‘s Jame Reeds, Sarah Siskind discusses how she was noticed by Alison Krauss:
Well, with Alison, it was one of those divine-intervention stories. I struck up a friendship with another Nashville songwriter named Julie Lee, who happened to be good friends with Alison. She felt moved to give my music to Alison and asked me to put together a CD of my songs. The first song of mine that Alison cut was “Goodbye Is All We Have,’’ which I wrote when I was a teenager. I remember my mom and dad said back then, “If you ever meet Alison Krauss, you need to give her that song.’’ I rolled my eyes like, yeah, OK, whatever.
- Ricky Skaggs‘ G-Run is currently up to $170.50 on eBay. (via The Bluegrass Blog)
- Luke Bryan scored a #1 with “Do I,” the first single from his second album Doin’ My Thing.
- Nick Morrison argues that jazz and bluegrass are more alike than they appear and explores five songs that meld the two genres.
- Ashton Shepherd, Brad Paisley, Sugarland, and Jamey Johnson each placed two songs between 161 and 180 in Country Universe’s countdown of the 200 greatest singles of the decade.
- CNN posted a video interview with Lyle Lovett.
- John Cowan‘s first full-length Christmas record, Comfort and Joy, received a nine out of 10 rating from PopMatters’ Steve Leftridge.
- GAC’s Tom Roland on Lyric Street’s new artist, Tyler Dickerson: (MySpace)
Tyler may not prove to be the anti-pop antidote that traditionalists long for. But he’s proof that the folks on Music Row haven’t given up on them.
- Watch behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Blake Shelton and Trace Adkins from the “Hillbilly Bone” video shoot.
- Phil Vassar‘s new album, Traveling Circus, was released today. (Amazon)
- My Kind of Country: What songs or artists have you acquired an appreciation for, despite not liking them initially?
- Thirty bloggers got together and made The Bird List, a collaborative list of the top 20 albums of the year.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for explaining that to me, Luckyol.
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I think you're taking it a bit too seriously. CMT has to keep coming up with new lists to make. …
- Barry Mazor: Thi is a world in which the "top 40 most influential country artists of all time" do not include, for …
- luckyoldsun: I just noticed that Garth and King George are still to come. So unless I'm missing something else, the remaining seven …
- Leeann Ward: I hate it when people pronounce the days of the week with a "dy" ending instead of "day." It's like …
- luckyoldsun: Looking at that bizarre CMT Artists' list with Johnny Cash coming in at #8, it raises the question--Who are the …
- Leeann Ward: I'd have to agree with LOS here. The song was fair game to be released. It's no surprised that it …
- luckyoldsun: "'Brotherly Love,' IS a Keith Whitley song. Trying to take advantage of the impact sales, and the tragedy of Keith’s …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, we know that it's technically a Keith Whitley song, as Juli noted above.