Ryan Bingham/T Bone Burnet Pick Up Golden Globe Nods; Luke Bryan’s “Do I” Tops Charts
- Jeff Bridges received a Golden Globe nomination for his performance in Crazy Heart, which also netted Ryan Bingham and T Bone Burnett nods for best original song for “The Weary Kind.”
- Sarah Jarosz recently dropped by the KUT studios to record some old favorites and a few new tunes. Listen to new tune “Come Around” on Texas Music Matters.
- Josh Turner plans to release a standard and deluxe edition of his new album Haywire on February 9. The deluxe edition will include two previously unreleased songs, live audio tracks of his hits “Your Man” and “Long Black Train,” and video footage.
- Julianne Hough‘s new DVD, Dance with Julianne: Cardio Ballroom, is out today. Watch a promotional video on Amazon.
- CMT’s Chet Flippo and Music Mix’s Whitney Pastorek turned in more reviews of Garth Brooks‘ shindig in Vegas over the weekend.
- Music Fog: Madison Violet – “The Ransom”
- In a condensed interview with The Boston Globe‘s Jame Reeds, Sarah Siskind discusses how she was noticed by Alison Krauss:
Well, with Alison, it was one of those divine-intervention stories. I struck up a friendship with another Nashville songwriter named Julie Lee, who happened to be good friends with Alison. She felt moved to give my music to Alison and asked me to put together a CD of my songs. The first song of mine that Alison cut was “Goodbye Is All We Have,’’ which I wrote when I was a teenager. I remember my mom and dad said back then, “If you ever meet Alison Krauss, you need to give her that song.’’ I rolled my eyes like, yeah, OK, whatever.
- Ricky Skaggs‘ G-Run is currently up to $170.50 on eBay. (via The Bluegrass Blog)
- Luke Bryan scored a #1 with “Do I,” the first single from his second album Doin’ My Thing.
- Nick Morrison argues that jazz and bluegrass are more alike than they appear and explores five songs that meld the two genres.
- Ashton Shepherd, Brad Paisley, Sugarland, and Jamey Johnson each placed two songs between 161 and 180 in Country Universe’s countdown of the 200 greatest singles of the decade.
- CNN posted a video interview with Lyle Lovett.
- John Cowan‘s first full-length Christmas record, Comfort and Joy, received a nine out of 10 rating from PopMatters’ Steve Leftridge.
- GAC’s Tom Roland on Lyric Street’s new artist, Tyler Dickerson: (MySpace)
Tyler may not prove to be the anti-pop antidote that traditionalists long for. But he’s proof that the folks on Music Row haven’t given up on them.
- Watch behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Blake Shelton and Trace Adkins from the “Hillbilly Bone” video shoot.
- Phil Vassar‘s new album, Traveling Circus, was released today. (Amazon)
- My Kind of Country: What songs or artists have you acquired an appreciation for, despite not liking them initially?
- Thirty bloggers got together and made The Bird List, a collaborative list of the top 20 albums of the year.
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.