Ryan Bingham Joins Country Throwdown Tour; Brad Paisley’s Bruise; Blake Shelton Debuts at No. 2
- Ryan Bingham joined the Country Throwdown Tour, which already includes Jamey Johnson, Little Big Town, Eric Church, Jack Ingram, Montgomery Gentry, Eli Young Band, the Lost Trailers, and Heidi Newfield.
- Jason Aldean and Ashley Monroe celebrated the success of the song “The Truth” at an industry party on Monday.
- After subjecting himself to Danny Gokey‘s new album twice, Country California’s C.M. Wilcox has a few things to say:
Gokey’s complete lack of investment in anything resembling country music is readily apparent. He’s a Christian soul singer tapping the conventions of country music from a safe distance, seeing if he might strike gold. The nearest analog is Phil Stacey, who released exactly one ‘country’ (at Disney’s insistence) single and album on Lyric Street before following his heart to a Christian label the next year. I hope Danny Gokey’s country stint will be similarly short, so he can move on and make some music he actually enjoys.
- Brad Paisley tweeted the results of his recent stage spill.
- Drew Kennedy posted the demo to a song he just wrote and recorded this morning titled “The Captain And The Highway.” Now that’s impressive turnaround.
- First week sales totaled 71,009 for Blake Shelton‘s new EP, which was good enough for No. 3 on the Billboard 200 and earned No. 2 spot on the country album chart. (via press release)
- Nathin Rabin’s thoughts on Kinky Friedman: “[…] of all the personas and roles Friedman has adopted throughout his life and career he should be remembered first and foremost as a great songwriter.”
- The Boot posted video of Gary Allan‘s neck tattoo, kilted guitar player, and a performance of “Get Off On The Pain.”
- My Kind of Country writer Occasional Hope’s take on the Josh Thompson song “Blame It On Waylon” — “more about image than substance” — seems to be a pretty fair description of Josh Thompson the artist at this point, but she argues there is some substance, most notably in the reflective lyrics of “Sinner.”
- Josh Thompson holds hope for his career:
“Hopefully with the right mojo I’ll watch my songs go up the charts and hopefully sell records,” he said. “I think when people hear this CD they will know exactly who I am as a writer, as an artist and as a person. The only thing I can do is try to write great songs.”
Clicking through and scroll to the bottom for a video tour of Thompson’s van.
- The members of Lady Antebellum are not only carving out their own mainstream success, but writing songs for other artists as well, including Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, and Danny Gokey.
- Carrie Underwood‘s “Play On Tour” kicks off tomorrow.
- Walmart’s Soundcheck is featuring a six-song performance and interview from Blake Shelton.
Music Fog: Eric Brace & Peter Cooper – “Wait a Minute”
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.