Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
- Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.”
- Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again.
- Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new Facebook page, though it doesn’t have nearly enough fans. Get on it, folks.
- Shortly before Mike Auldridge passed away in 2012, he and fellow Dobro greats Jerry Douglas and Rob Ickes recorded a new album together. Yesterday Rounder Records announced that they will release this album, Three Bells, on September 16. (via press release)
- Check out Marty Stuart’s new version of “Uncloudy Day,” featuring guest vocals from Mavis Staples. This will be on Stuart’s forthcoming double-disc release, Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, due out September 30.
- Nu-Blu will release their next record, All the Way, September 16 on Rural Rhythm Records. (via press release)
- A week later, Kenny Chesney is going to release The Big Revival. Guests on that record will include Alison Krauss and Dan Tyminski.
- The Tennessean put together a photo gallery of Jim Reeves recording his Christmas album at Studio A in 1962.
- Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen played a song from their forthcoming record, Cold Spell, during a recent visit to WAMU’s Bluegrass Country. Watch here.
- The postage stamp saluting Janis Joplin will be issued in August; the design looks pretty sweet.
- Ketch Secor and Critter Fuqua talked about Old Crow Medicine Show’s new record for a Rolling Stone Country interview.
- Here’s the music video for Paul Thorn’s take on Jackson Browne’s “Doctor My Eyes.”
- Blake Shelton’s “My Eyes” is his fifth chart-topper from Based on a True Story. Billboard reports that this ties Brad Paisley’s record for “most No. 1s from a single set,” which Paisley set in 2007-2008.
- Kristian Bush will release his solo single, “Trailer Hitch,” later this month.
- Bassist Billy Talbot suffered a mild stroke right before he was scheduled to hit the road with Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Rick Rosas will take his place while Talbot recovers.
- Donate to Phil Leadbetter’s medical fund to help his battle against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and receive the quiet satisfaction that comes from helping others in need. Also, a cool bracelet.
- This week’s album releases:
Old Crow Medicine Show – Remedy
Jim Lauderdale – I’m a Song
Missy Werner – Turn This Heart Around
Corb Lund – Counterfeit Blues
Sean Watkins – All I Do is Lie
Levon Helm Band – The Midnight Ramble Sessions, Vol. 3
Nathan Bell – Blood Like a River
Nigel Egg – The Blues is Personal
Jonah Tolchin – Clover Lane
Ryan Adams – Gimme Something Good (7”)
Taylor Swift – Unreleased
- And a book:
- Applejack: It's not just you, Andrew L. I just listened to the clips on Amazon, and the autotune effect is terrible.
- Andrew L.: Is it just me or does Strait sound horribly autotuned on the clips for the new live album? I can't …
- Juli Thanki: You'll get to hear it pretty soon: The Wall Street Journal is going to stream the album on their website …
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!