Rounder to Release Douglas, Ickes & Auldridge Album; USPS to Issue Janis Joplin Stamp; New Album Releases
- Dolly Parton has denied accusations that she lip-synched at Glastonbury, saying “My boobs are fake, my hair’s fake but what is real is my voice and my heart.”
- Let’s watch Parton do “Yakety Sax” for a bunch of drug-addled festivalgoers again.
- Mac Wiseman’s got a new project in the works. He also has a new Facebook page, though it doesn’t have nearly enough fans. Get on it, folks.
- Shortly before Mike Auldridge passed away in 2012, he and fellow Dobro greats Jerry Douglas and Rob Ickes recorded a new album together. Yesterday Rounder Records announced that they will release this album, Three Bells, on September 16. (via press release)
- Check out Marty Stuart’s new version of “Uncloudy Day,” featuring guest vocals from Mavis Staples. This will be on Stuart’s forthcoming double-disc release, Saturday Night & Sunday Morning, due out September 30.
- Nu-Blu will release their next record, All the Way, September 16 on Rural Rhythm Records. (via press release)
- A week later, Kenny Chesney is going to release The Big Revival. Guests on that record will include Alison Krauss and Dan Tyminski.
- The Tennessean put together a photo gallery of Jim Reeves recording his Christmas album at Studio A in 1962.
- Frank Solivan & Dirty Kitchen played a song from their forthcoming record, Cold Spell, during a recent visit to WAMU’s Bluegrass Country. Watch here.
- The postage stamp saluting Janis Joplin will be issued in August; the design looks pretty sweet.
- Ketch Secor and Critter Fuqua talked about Old Crow Medicine Show’s new record for a Rolling Stone Country interview.
- Here’s the music video for Paul Thorn’s take on Jackson Browne’s “Doctor My Eyes.”
- Blake Shelton’s “My Eyes” is his fifth chart-topper from Based on a True Story. Billboard reports that this ties Brad Paisley’s record for “most No. 1s from a single set,” which Paisley set in 2007-2008.
- Kristian Bush will release his solo single, “Trailer Hitch,” later this month.
- Bassist Billy Talbot suffered a mild stroke right before he was scheduled to hit the road with Neil Young and Crazy Horse. Rick Rosas will take his place while Talbot recovers.
- Donate to Phil Leadbetter’s medical fund to help his battle against Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and receive the quiet satisfaction that comes from helping others in need. Also, a cool bracelet.
- This week’s album releases:
Old Crow Medicine Show – Remedy
Jim Lauderdale – I’m a Song
Missy Werner – Turn This Heart Around
Corb Lund – Counterfeit Blues
Sean Watkins – All I Do is Lie
Levon Helm Band – The Midnight Ramble Sessions, Vol. 3
Nathan Bell – Blood Like a River
Nigel Egg – The Blues is Personal
Jonah Tolchin – Clover Lane
Ryan Adams – Gimme Something Good (7”)
Taylor Swift – Unreleased
- And a book:
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …