Roger Miller’s Copyrights Awarded to Widow; Easton Corbin Goes No. 1; Jo Dee Messina Plans Trio of EPs
- The widow of Roger Miller won a lawsuit against Sony/ATV Publishing for the rights to some of her husband’s best-known songs.
- Despite Mindy McCready‘s destructive public behavior, Michael McCall says her newest album I’m Still Here suggests that her talent endures.
New releases for the week of March 23, 2010 include:
- Easton Corbin‘s debut single, “A Little More Country Than That,” earned him his first No. 1.
- The Boston Globe’s James Reed was less than impressed with Carrie Underwood and Craig Morgan during their recent stop at DCU Center.
- Reba reigns.
Album shorts from The Austin Chronicle:
The Marshall Ford Swing Band – It’s About Dam Time
“The local quintet’s secret weapon is Emily Gimble, renowned fiddler Johnny’s granddaughter, whose remarkable voice seems transported straight from the 1940s.”
Joe Pug – Messenger
“Troubadours tabbed as the next Dylan number by the generations now, yet 25-year-old Joe Pug, based out of Chicago, should make even the most sample-happy listener take note.”
Texas Tornados – ¡Está Bueno!
“With Sahm’s and Fender’s passings, the cowboy hat sits squarely on Shawn Sahm, who pulls off his dad’s old tricks with a few of his own […]”
- The Gobblers Knob’s Kelly Dearmore encourages readers to go back a couple of years and check out the album Young Lungs from The Only Sons, formerly known as Ribbonpigeon.
- It’s been almost five years since Jo Dee Messina released her previous album, but she hopes to change that on April 27, the new scheduled release date for the first of a three EPs planned for this year.
- In an article about teens at country radio, Lyric Street President Randy Goodman argues that social media is not a substitute for airplay:
“At the end of the day, you can socially network with somebody; you can do all that stuff,” Goodman says. “[But] you’ve got to achieve critical mass airplay at country radio, and you’ve got to do that over and over again if you’re going to build an artist.”
- The 9513 Managing Editor Jim Malec addressed accusations from Carrie Underwood fans.
- Chet Flippo on Elizabeth Cook and her new album:
She is a refreshingly unpretentious — and very good — reminder of why country music is country music. She has one foot in 1930 and one in 2020. The song “El Camino” is a crisp little country rap with nice rock guitar. And when she brings in Quaalude, you start to appreciate her entire palette of musical colors. “Heroin Addict Sister” is not what you expect from a Nashville singer-songwriter, either, but it is an extremely empathetic song and a very credible one. This is a damn good album and is easily one of the best to come out of Nashville thus far in 2010.
- Austin Music Source posted results from the LoneStarMusic Awards where Ryan Bingham won a couple of awards. Other winners included Cross Canadian Ragweed, Wade Bowen, Charlie Robison, and Miranda Lambert.
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …